Snapper Pro S200x vs Scag

Sonders

Threads
I was all set on getting a Scag Tiger Cat with 61" deck, but recently came across the Snapper Pro S200. Anybody have some comparison insight between the two?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was all set on getting a Scag Tiger Cat with 61" deck, but recently came across the Snapper Pro S200. Anybody have some comparison insight between the two?

The snapper pro s200xt is the top of snapper pro's line. You can get a big block vanguard, and zt5400 hydros for the cost of a tiger cat with a lesser drive train (approximately $8500). You can also get the s200xt with the fx series Kawasaki, or kohler Efi. The icd deck is a very good cutting deck as well. The s200xt is similar to a ferris is3200 without the suspension. My father has one, and it is a very good machine. I have a s150xt as well, and am very happy with it. No other brand offers a drive train like that for that price range. You can't beat the value.

The s200x will not have the same options as the s200xt. You won't get the flat free front tires. You will only get one 5 gallon fuel tank, instead of two five gallon tanks offered on the s200xt. The s200x also comes with the 27hp commercial turf, instead of the big block options offered with the S200xt. The price range should be around $7k for a new s200x though. It has the same zt5400 hydros and the same icd deck.

Sonders

Threads
The Snapper I'm looking at is a 13' model with 70 hrs. Waiting to hear back from seller to see what engine it has on it.

How is the cut with them? They stripe fairly well? All the Scags I've been on stripe awesome.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Snapper I'm looking at is a 13' model with 70 hrs. Waiting to hear back from seller to see what engine it has on it.

How is the cut with them? They stripe fairly well? All the Scags I've been on stripe awesome.

The icd deck comes standard with a striping kit. It is a rubber flap on the back of the deck. I have A bermuda lawn. It is difficult to stripe, but I cut it at 3.5 inches and you can see some striping. From what I have seen from other members on this site, you can make any mower stripe a lawn if you know what you are doing. There are a lot of variables. Such as cut height, type of striping kit on the mower, blade type, etc. The cut quality is very good. The velocity deck does cut a little better in wet grass imo, but I am very happy with the cut my mower leaves. A lot of lawn care professionals in my area use snapper pro mowers.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'd stay with your first choice and go with the Scag, first choice is always the best choice besides it's a lot better mower. It has better drives than the Snapper 5400 It has the dual 10cc pumps and large capacity wheel motors and there a lot more responsive than the Hydro gear stuff and you can get the Tiger cat with the Kawasaki FX engine and velocity deck which are better than the snapper has IMO. Besides that unless your mowing for a living you don't need 5400 drives for anything. The only thing the 5400 drives will do for you is get you a faster transport speed, it's not going to cut any faster. Transport speeds come in handy when your a mile or two from the truck and trailer mowing and you need to get back quicker, that's why the pro's use them. The other nice thing about the Scag is your resale will be better down the road if you should decide to sell it sometime.

Sonders

Threads
Good points Ric. Have a buddy wanting to sell me a Turf Tiger as well. It has more hours on it than I'd like, but it's currently at dealer being gone completely through so I'm confident it will be a great mower for me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good points Ric. Have a buddy wanting to sell me a Turf Tiger as well. It has more hours on it than I'd like, but it's currently at dealer being gone completely through so I'm confident it will be a great mower for me.

What engine is it running and what year is the mower and I assume he is the original owner. If you know how it has been taken care of and you know how he used the mower and it sounds like you do I wouldn't worry about hours. You as a homeowner I assume, wont put that many hours a year on a mower. I'd find out what he used for oil and stay with it though and change the oil and filter on a regular schedule and it will last you years. I've been checking the Scags out down at my dealers and they make a real nice mower. The tiger Cat and Cheetah are nice and not bad priced.

Sonders

Threads
It has Kawasaki 29 dfi engine, 11' model. I'm currently looking for whichever I can find best deal on either Turf Tiger or Tiger Cat.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has Kawasaki 29 dfi engine, 11' model. I'm currently looking for whichever I can find best deal on either Turf Tiger or Tiger Cat.

Is that the water cooled engine ?

whelch1

Threads
The Snapper I'm looking at is a 13' model with 70 hrs. Waiting to hear back from seller to see what engine it has on it. How is the cut with them? They stripe fairly well? All the Scags I've been on stripe awesome.
I'm assuming you live in Kentucky since I saw the exact same mower on Craigslist. It does look like a very clean mower. I live in Louisville and the main reason I went with a scag was because of dealer support. It also seems as though all the pro's in Louisville use scag.