LTX1046 Hydrostatic rear axle oil fill won't unscrew.

seniorbiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LTX1046 Hydrostatic rear axle oil fill won't unscrew.
Have slight gear oil leak out of rear axle. Would like to add some gear oil occasionally. Removed battery, removed tin plate. tried to remove oil plug with allen wrench......wouldn't budge. Even tried my Ryobi lipo impact driver. Didn't work either.

Is the plug reverse thread??? Does it have Loctite and must be heated to remove???

Any help would be appreciated.:smile:

lugnut1

Threads
this on a cub cadet?

try a 3/8" drive ratchet

Last edited:

lugnut1

Threads
Have slight gear oil leak out of rear axle. Would like to add some gear oil occasionally. Removed battery, removed tin plate. tried to remove oil plug with allen wrench......wouldn't budge. Even tried my Ryobi lipo impact driver. Didn't work either.

Is the plug reverse thread??? Does it have Loctite and must be heated to remove???

Any help would be appreciated.:smile:

if this is your mower
according to the manual: (page 20)
Hydrostatic Transmission
The hydrostatic transmission is sealed at the factory and is
maintenance-free. The fluid level cannot be checked and the fluid cannot be changed.

manual:
https://www.cubcadet.com/wcsstore/C...ers manuals/residential/LTX1046_769-04310.pdf

gainestruk

Threads
Lugnut1, if you look at both Hydro-Gear and Tuftorq they both tell you how to change their (sealed) units.
It's the mower manual's that say no service and sealed units.

Seniorbiker, do you know which transaxle you have, I tried tractor data but it just said hydrostatic, if you can give us model number off data plate on transaxle.
I know on some they have a vent tube, you can take that off and add fluid there.

Also you do know it doesn't use gear oil like you said in first post, need to know what you have but most use 20w50 motor oil.

If you are handy I would suggest you take transaxle off mower then you could turn it upside down and drain oil and change it, that will make transaxle last much longer.

You might also see if it's a seal leaking that you could replace and stop the leak.

lugnut1

Threads
thanks for the insight on that gainestruk

wondered why they'd say not serviceable in the manual, yet show the plug on part diagrams.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would just remove it from the mower.
Split it clean it. New o rings on the shafts. Some gasket maker and fill it back up. And not have to worry about it again.
Or heat up the plug remove it and add some oil.