Repairs Z Master jerky steering control

Chuck E.

Threads
I have a Z286E Toro with1200 hrs. It jerks back and forth like a bucking bronko. Want to replace the steering dampening cylinders but I cannot find that part in the parts listing. Is there anything else I can do to suppress this erratic jerking?
Thanks in advance for all your input.
Chuck E.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before replacing parts I would do a few checks. One, is the hydro reservoir properly filled? Second, when was the last time the hydro oil was changed? Third, when was the last time the hydro oil filter was changed? Forth, when was the last time the hydro belt was changed? All of these things will contribute to your problem. Filter and oil should be changed every 200 hours.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before replacing parts I would do a few checks. One, is the hydro reservoir properly filled? Second, when was the last time the hydro oil was changed? Third, when was the last time the hydro oil filter was changed? Forth, when was the last time the hydro belt was changed? All of these things will contribute to your problem. Filter and oil should be changed every 200 hours.

:smile: I just had all that stuff and more done to Z Master. It ain't cheap.:thumbsup: Don't they stretch that out to 500 hrs if you use the Toro Hypr-oil?

Chuck E.

Threads
First of all thanks for the rapid replies.
I will admit that I am a little delinquent on the service but I had to rebuild the right pump about 250 hours ago. I replaced the hydraulic filter ten hours after the replacement pump was installed. at that point I topped off the reservoir with the recommended Mobil 1 synthetic oil. As far as totally changing the oil it's not been done. Pump belt looks good. I will recheck the reservoir tomorrow and buy supplies for total oil change.
The symptoms seem like there is play in the linkage and if you are steady you can avoid the jerking. Also the damper cylinders have leaked and probably should be changed anyway. Are these hydraulic damper cylinders standard? I could not find them on the parts list for this mower.

Chuck E.

Threads
I just did some digging and I found this thread on the X-Mark forum.
ExMark Phazer Herky-Jerky on Take-off
I have a 2006 Zero Turn ExMark Phazer, 44''cut, 19 H P Kawasaki engine, Dual Hydro-Gear ZT-2800
Hydrostatic Transmissions with charge pumps, Model PHZ19KA443 Mower. When I engage the control handles to move forward the mower starts with a big jerk like it's trying to pop a wheelie. The left transmission seems to be a little more jerky than the right. Everything else runs as it's supposed to. What controls this herky-jerky start motion and can it be adjusted or repaired? Thanking you up front for your help and comments. John
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
04-07-2015, 04:07 PM #2

Mower
Exmark

Re: ExMark Phazer Herky-Jerky on Take-off
John - Over time the hydraulic dampers can fail and can make the machine difficult to control, especially at low speeds. The challenge is that these fail slowly so, typically, the 'normal' operator doesn't notice it until they are no longer functioning. If you have any more questions, please call us at 402-223-6375.

Exmark Customer Service

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, you are partially correct, first oil change should be at 200 hours and then 800 hours after that, if you are using Toro's HyprOil 500. The recommend alternate oil is Mobil 424 Hydraulic Fluid, not Mobil 1. This also depends on how the unit is, commercial or residential. I agree every 500 hours is a good middle ground if you are commerial. Also depends on operating temperature, hotter weather will breakdown the fluid much quicler. Damper part number is 1-523027. This parts manual might help.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=22628

Chuck E.

Threads
Can't thank you guys enough,and thanks Rivets for the part # and the fluids information. I will let you know how everything works out.

Happy long hours of mowing, Chuck E.

Muddflap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z286E Toro with1200 hrs. It jerks back and forth like a bucking bronko. Want to replace the steering dampening cylinders but I cannot find that part in the parts listing. Is there anything else I can do to suppress this erratic jerking?
Thanks in advance for all your input.
Chuck E.

I have a Gravely zero turn and it was acting the same way. The lawn mower repair man told me I needed a new damper. I had no idea what this was. It is a small piston mechanism at the bottom of the control arm. He replaced it and problem solved. That was the left one last summer. I am getting ready to replace the right one myself.

Muddflap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely zero turn and it was acting the same way. The lawn mower repair man told me I needed a new damper. I had no idea what this was. It is a small piston mechanism at the bottom of the control arm. He replaced it and problem solved. That was the left one last summer. I am getting ready to replace the right one myself.
I could not find it on the Gravely parts list but found one on line from Parts Tree.