Hustler Rapter vs Big Dog Alpha vs Exmark Quest (with stamped deck)

gtduck

Threads
  • / Hustler Rapter vs Big Dog Alpha vs Exmark Quest (with stamped deck)
I have an acre lot that's mostly flat. I've about narrowed it down my purchase to three options:

Hustler Rapter 42" (kohler 7000 engine)
Big Dog Alpha 42" (kaw engine)
Exmark Quest 42" (the one with the stamped deck; this one must be last years model because they still have several with the kaw engine)

The rapter and the exmark and both right under $3k and the big dog is right over it. I realize that the welded deck on the Exmark would be nicer, but it's not worth the $700ish more to me. I also realize that all of them have the EZT transmissions which aren't as nice as the 2800/3100/etc however I'm not looking to cut more than my lot, so i don't believe it will be a problem.

All three mowers are from local dealers who do all of their own repair work and seem like they would be easy to work with.

The main questions I have are:

Hustler/Big Dog vs Exmark?
Does anyone have a Big Dog that they chose over a Hustler and why? Are you happy with it?

I think i'm leaning towards the Big Dog Alpha, but would like some input.

thanks everyone.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an acre lot that's mostly flat. I've about narrowed it down my purchase to three options:

Hustler Rapter 42" (kohler 7000 engine)
Big Dog Alpha 42" (kaw engine)
Exmark Quest 42" (the one with the stamped deck; this one must be last years model because they still have several with the kaw engine)

The rapter and the exmark and both right under $3k and the big dog is right over it. I realize that the welded deck on the Exmark would be nicer, but it's not worth the $700ish more to me. I also realize that all of them have the EZT transmissions which aren't as nice as the 2800/3100/etc however I'm not looking to cut more than my lot, so i don't believe it will be a problem.

All three mowers are from local dealers who do all of their own repair work and seem like they would be easy to work with.

The main questions I have are:

Hustler/Big Dog vs Exmark?
Does anyone have a Big Dog that they chose over a Hustler and why? Are you happy with it?

I think i'm leaning towards the Big Dog Alpha, but would like some input.

thanks everyone.

The only difference in the alpha and the raptor is the engines and paint color. The one advantage I see in the alpha is that it appears to come with led lights. They are basically the same mower otherwise. Both are made by excel industries. All three are comparable mowers with similar specs.

gtduck

Threads
The only difference in the alpha and the raptor is the engines and paint color. The one advantage I see in the alpha is that it appears to come with led lights. They are basically the same mower otherwise. Both are made by excel industries. All three are comparable mowers with similar specs.

Actually, more than anything else, the seat is a good bit nicer. It also has lights; although that's really not much of a big deal to me.