Honda mower engine won't start

logan01

Threads
Are you saying that once it starts, with air cleaner removed, it won't stay running with spraying again and again as it begins to die?

banjomaniac

Threads
After replacing all of the gaskets it still wouldn't start so I pulled the carburetor and took it a part the bowl looked dirty so I pulled the main jet and it was stuck after a while of working with that I got it out and it was completely corroded and this was supposed to be a brand new carburetor! I got all the holes opened up put it back together and it fired right up I will be contacting the company I ordered the carburetor through. Thanks for the help and lessoned learned, never assume because its NEW!

BanjomaniacIMG_20150718_144749_252.jpg

lugnut1

Threads
congrats on solving your problem:thumbsup:

(ya just never know sometimes):thumbdown:

Last edited:

banjomaniac

Threads
I ordered that carb through Sears Parts online and have used them a lot. Doesn't mean they're bad but I got a bad carb. From now on I will probably check the carb first to see it is indeed clean.

Banjomaniac

lugnut1

Threads
from the looks of those parts
I'm wondering if that carb wasn't recycled.
if it is a remanufactured carb Sears needs to state that fact in their sales ads, (cannot be sold as new)
or if sears is being told the carbs are new then Sears needs to get ahold of that supplier and straighten it out :2cents:

Last edited:

logan01

Threads
Goodness. I'd be having a good old fashion come-apart on that deal. I've seen them sit outdoors for years and not look like that. Looks like corrosion from a chemical.

lugnut1

Threads
Goodness. I'd be having a good old fashion come-apart on that deal. I've seen them sit outdoors for years and not look like that. Looks like corrosion from a chemical.

that's what I'm thinking also (like its been soaked in some type of carb cleaner)

banjomaniac

Threads
I sprayed gumout in it and had to use an allen wrench to get the main jet to move and then it still took a good 15 minutes of tapping with a screw driver handle to get it out. I knew it was bad after I removed the main jet screw on bottom and when I tapped it to get it out all these tiny white pieces started falling out.

Banjomaniac

lugnut1

Threads
what type of container it come in?
perhaps someone was able to pull the ol' switcharoo on it.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sprayed gumout in it and had to use an allen wrench to get the main jet to move and then it still took a good 15 minutes of tapping with a screw driver handle to get it out. I knew it was bad after I removed the main jet screw on bottom and when I tapped it to get it out all these tiny white pieces started falling out.

Banjomaniac

Someone bought a new carb...put their old one in the box and returned it. No one ever looked inside the box, it was reshelved, and then it was resold to lucky you.

Only explanation that seems possible to me.

Glad you got it running.