Repairs Squeal when Roto Stop is engaged

bsmiley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a HRR2163VXA. SN: MZCG-7274785. I've owned it since July 2006.

When I engage the Roto Stop lever I get a squeal. The squeal lasts just for a second as the blade starts to spin. I replaced the drive belt with a genuine Honda belt this morning. I thought that might be the cause of the squeal, but it is not.

Is there anything I can adjust to help my mower?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,

I have a HRR2163VXA. SN: MZCG-7274785. I've owned it since July 2006.

When I engage the Roto Stop lever I get a squeal. The squeal lasts just for a second as the blade starts to spin. I replaced the drive belt with a genuine Honda belt this morning. I thought that might be the cause of the squeal, but it is not.

Is there anything I can adjust to help my mower?

Thanks,
Brian

No adjustment is likely to cure a squeal from the Roto-STop. Might have some excessive wear on the clutch, but it'd need to be disassembled and inspected. There are service limits on the driven disk and clutch spring. If you really want to tear into it and DIY, a shop manual is invaluable, as there a many parts to the Roto-Stop/clutch...

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

jeb721

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey there, I have a HRR216 with rotostop and I've had this screeching since new so my clutch is brand new. Should I take it in or would they consider the clutch a wear item and make me buy a new clutch?

I am half thinking I should pull it off and see if anything is stuck in it but I don't want to void my warranty.