Repairs Stiga Park Pro 16 - Any help appreciated :)

dumbbrit

Threads
Hi all, i have a Stiga Park Pro 16 which just arrived today, a second hand one in real nice condition and well maintained.
Getting it off the pallet on the truck was a nightmare, and i am worried it may have had a bump underneath which bent something, but I don't know what it should look like so I dont know if it's bent!!

Basically I noticed a spring hanging off when I got it into my barn and i took a pic as it looked then....

I spent two hours underneath trying to see where that spring should go. I didn't even know if it should be attached to where it is in that first pic! I found an exploded diagram online, loads of them in fact, and none of them make enough sense to show me where it goes. I eventually stuck it onto the mower deck tensioner pulley, like this.....

But it just doesn't seem right there. I tried starting her up and engaging the deck and it did engage, but i could smell burning rubber so instantly shut her off. The belt doesn't seem to be sitting nicely against the side of the tensioner pulley, it is kind of offset, as shown below....

I had another look underneath and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe it did take a whack underneath and maybe the steel arm which the pulley tensioner sits on got pushed up and bent? See next pic below.....

Does anyone know if this should be horizontal to the ground or should it be up at an angle like it is? I have marked with arrows the part I mean, and the bigger of the two arrows shows the direction I suspect it might have been pushed. Should it sit at that angle or should the wheel be exactly parallel with the other pulleys? The final picture shows it a bit better, how the tensioner pulley wheel is not at same angle as the pulleys which hold the belt......

I am really hoping somebody on here either has one so can compare, or has worked on one and knows the answer! Its awful seeing something for the first time in your life, and not being sure if its had a bang or not!! Thanks to anyone who can help :)

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at the wear pattern on the idler pulley. Belt ran with pulley. It is bent for sure. What is model number I can look at a parts diag and see what it should look like.

mc_harley

Threads
Hi,

It's sure that it is bent but follow the link down here, it might come handy if you are a Park owner. There you find your answers to almost everything. I am also a Stiga fan.

http://online.stiga.com/pdf/workshop_manuals/PA_EN_72.pdf

I looked at my Stiga Park President and I noticed that the tensioner should be underneath the double pulley. See in the manual page 7, chapter 7.5. In that order you need to put it back and that is the way it is on my Stiga, first put back the double pulley and than the tensioner. On your picture I saw that the tensioner touches the upper spring.

Success!
mc_harley

Last edited:

dumbbrit

Threads
Look at the wear pattern on the idler pulley. Belt ran with pulley. It is bent for sure. What is model number I can look at a parts diag and see what it should look like.

Thanks SO much for chipping in here. How the hell did I not see that?! I was staring at it from every angle for ages!?! Doh!!

Here is the model number assuming this is what you need.....

I suspect that steel arm which the tensioner is attached to has been pushed up. I probably just need to bend it back down but wont do anything just yet. I did find a parts diagram but it really didn't help me at all, ok I am not the most mechanical person in the world but I can usually work from an exploded diagram ok. This one I just had a mental block, so any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

dumbbrit

Threads
Hi,

It's sure that it is bent but follow the link down here, it might come handy if you are a Park owner. There you find your answers to almost everything. I am also a Stiga fan.

http://online.stiga.com/pdf/workshop_manuals/PA_EN_72.pdf

I looked at my Stiga Park President and I noticed that the tensioner should be underneath the double pulley. See in the manual page 7, chapter 7.5. In that order you need to put it back and that is the way it is on my Stiga, first put back the double pulley and than the tensioner. On your picture I saw that the tensioner touches the upper spring.

Success!
mc_harley

Thanks for your post. Yes I have a copy of that PDF and have worked through it 3 times looking for anything to help with this problem but nothing in there helped. Lots of lovely pictures, but unfortunately not one which shows the angle I need, to see what I need to see! Page 7 is no help. Chapter 7.5 doesn't seem to help either, unless I am missing something, which wouldn't be the first time!!!!
I didn't really follow what you meant when you said "first put back the ....." - i dont have any parts dismantled here.

Thanks again

mc_harley

Threads
Thanks for your post. Yes I have a copy of that PDF and have worked through it 3 times looking for anything to help with this problem but nothing in there helped. Lots of lovely pictures, but unfortunately not one which shows the angle I need, to see what I need to see! Page 7 is no help. Chapter 7.5 doesn't seem to help either, unless I am missing something, which wouldn't be the first time!!!!
I didn't really follow what you meant when you said "first put back the ....." - i dont have any parts dismantled here.

Thanks again

Hi,
What I ment is, my mower had the tensioner underneath the double pulley. On your picture it is placed on the upper side of de double pulley. If you had dismantled the parts you should first have to put on the double pulley first and the the tensioner. Sie picture off my mower.

2015-07-08 19.38.21.jpg2015-07-08 19.39.10.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so this is what I see. Some one has really messed with your mower. The tension arm is installed above the pulley and should be below. Idler pulley is installed on the tensioner arm is installed upside down. The tensioner arm may not even be the correct one. Go to this web site and look at page 12 of any year. Part number 1 is the correct tension arm. Park Pro 16 Parts and Spares

dumbbrit

Threads
Hmm, that's really surprising. The guy I bought it from is genuine, and the mower was his own and has been serviced regularly and generally maintained to a very high standard. The oil in it is spotless. this is the park pro 16, not the president, if that makes any difference? I am amazed to hear that its been "messed with"! :(
It's starting to sound like needs a workshop visit :(

dumbbrit

Threads
Well I got the exploded diagram out again and you seem to be right, that arm with tensioner pulley should indeed be mounted at the bottom. How strange!
I don;t know if i will need any washers and things, may just book it into lawnmower repair place and hopefully they will know how it should be set up!

KrashnKraka

Threads
Hmm, that's really surprising. The guy I bought it from is genuine, and the mower was his own and has been serviced regularly and generally maintained to a very high standard. The oil in it is spotless. this is the park pro 16, not the president, if that makes any difference? I am amazed to hear that its been "messed with"! :(
It's starting to sound like needs a workshop visit :(

Anecdotal:
I once bought a very nice well cared for (internally) 4 x 4 offn a very good friend
for "mates rates". He assured me the vehicle servicing was genuine and knew my
quals anyway so I took the assurance as genuine, no log books available.
The very first service sched. I carried out I found the grease nipples on the front
drive shaft were the wrong type denying a grease gun unless the shaft was removed.
Luckily (for me) he rarely used the 4wheel and so a quick refurb was all that was required.
At the same time I replaced the brake fluid - flush/clean&refill - the old oil
looked very ordinary moisture wise. I mentioned all this and a couple of other minor
issues to find he was a tad miffed but said he would follow it up with the service
point, discreetly.
I reckon they had him convinced I was a nutter over the brake fluid until they categoricaly
stated they fully serviced grease points at every service on 4x4s. He showed them the photos
I had supplied and they virtually threw him out of the shop with he was sabotaging their
business with false claim. That did it for him.
I sold the vehicle for a tidy profit, with his blessing.
We remain good friends and I found him a genuine responsible service point.
Over many years he had spent thousands on services for a number of fleet vehicles
all on lease terms. I wonder what the new owners got, for cheap at auction :p

Posted more for the prior owner than yourself (dumbrit), I trust you get it.

KK