Echo GT 200CE Trimmer

robrpb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Echo GT 200CE trimmer that is about 28 years old. It has served me well, except for fuel tanks cracking. I have only used Echo oil in it and non-ethanol gas. I rebuilt the carburetor, a Walbro WA-143-1, about 4-6 months ago and it was running good. I would choke the engine and pull 3-4 times and then unchoke it and it would start on the 1st or 2nd pull. Recently, it would start to die when I released the throttle and I would have to pull on the gas to keep it running. Now a couple days ago I could not start it. I took the spark plug out and it was dry. I then took the carburetor off and apart and it too appeared dry. For some reason it doesn't seem to be getting fuel. From reading various threads getting a new carburetor for it seemed like a good choice. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

When I took the carburetor apart the screen appeared to look clean and the carburetor overall all looked clean. You thoughts and suggestions on how to approach this problem are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rob

Mikel1

Threads
Primer bulb pulling in fuel? Fuel lines and fuel filter good?

robrpb

Forum Newbie
Threads
It doesn't have a primer bulb and it only has one fuel line going to the carburetor. Fuel and air filter are good. They are about 4-6 months old.

Mikel1

Threads
I see, when you opened up carb did the float needle lift out of it's seat when testing it? How's the compression?

robrpb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have a meter to check compression. When I took the carburetor apart and I pushed on the metering valve (I think that's what it is called) the needle lifted up.

Mikel1

Threads
Have you tried cleaning the carb again? Also the crankcase may not be sealing properly, it has to maintain pressure and vaccum. Compression may also be low.

robrpb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have cleaned the carburetor, but I did not install new parts. I have been thinking about buying a kit and rebuilding it again as this would be an inexpensive fix if one of the parts/gaskets in the carb went bad.

Not to assume, but when you say the compression can be bad, are you referring to the cylinder compression?

When running, it runs like a champ.

Mikel1

Threads
Not to assume, but when you say the compression can be bad, are you referring to the cylinder compression?

Yes but I said low not bad, there's a difference.

Is the metering diaphragm still soft and did you take out L & H screws when cleaning?

robrpb

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the normal compression? What is an acceptable range?

The metering diaphragm is soft.

I did not take out the L & H screws. I will do that tomorrow. What else should I be looking for tomorrow? Thanks.

Mikel1

Threads
I like to see 120+psi on 2 strokes, don't like 100psi or lower.
Nothing else that I can think of at this time.