MS3616 bar mount studs loose.

rundu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine are loose, because I think the nuts have been tightened up too much.

this saw has a plastic housing, into which the studs disappear. I cant tell how or what they are embedded into, but I can see there are splines on them. I hammered them back in, but they just came loose again. Also when i hammered them in, one turns with the nut, which kind of suggests it has lost its anchoring in the body.

IPLs dont even show these studs so i cant see what they screw into exactly.

you cant tighten the bar properly anymore now, So can this be fixed, or is the saw a throw away now?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
rundu, I don't know your saw, but there are epoxy (and other?) fillers made for repair of problems like the one you describe. If it would help I will dig out the info. Probably not a good idea to simply try the repair with crazy glue. Sometimes a cleaner/primer is required. What is the diameter of the studs? Also have you considered finding studs the next size up and driving them in? Once in, probably not exceed the torque callout. The short handled bar wrench furnished with my Husky chain saw is purposely short to avoid over torque (it would seem).

Edit: is that MS... a military spec callout?

rundu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its pretty well identical to a Poulan Pro (both Husky manufactured saws).

The diamater is about 3/8". I have read other threads on Stihls/Huskies where they do oversize studs - just dunno if someone has done it with this saw. I suppose i should ring the local dealer

Unfortunately the manual never specified any torque settings but yes i see know that the wrench is purposely weak so you dont overtighten. but I thought the studs must go into metal. How wrong I was.