Start and Run Problems

Jason5

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yardman Riding mower model 13AM772G755 that will not start with the ignition switch. I can start it by jumping to the starter. Once it starts and the key is in the run position it runs very rough. If I hold the key in the start position it runs fine but I obviously could not mow very effectively holding the key with one hand the whole time. I assumed the problem was the ignition switch so I installed a new one with no fix. Any help is appreciated!

Mikel1

Threads
Sounds like a safety switch problem. Does this model have a fuel solenoid?

Jason5

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like a safety switch problem to me as well but I didn't think I could start it by going straight to the starter if it was a safety switch problem. It does have a fuel solenoid on it, that might have something to do with it; I will look into that. Thank you.

Mikel1

Threads
I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this model.
I believe this is a 4 pole solenoid, two small wires are attached to tabs on solenoid, one is a ground and other is power wire. You can just take off the power wire and test Dc voltage(red probe of meter) and black probe of meter to good ground while turning key to start position, remember safety switches have to be set like when you normally start it.

Jason5

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked for voltage at the fuel solenoid and got 0.0 Volts with the key in the run and start position. The hot wire went back to a quick connect that might be some sort of fuse. Do fuses for mowers come with wires attached?

Mikel1

Threads
Let's start at the beginning, do you have 12v to ignition switch?

KrashnKraka

Threads
I If I hold the key in the start position it runs fine but I obviously could not mow very effectively holding the key with one hand the whole time.

You could make some dollars with a EWEtoob video of above MOO* :cloud9:

As Mike1 is trying to get through to you, you really do need a wiring diagram
and know how to follow it. Or at least follow help from some who knows how to
follow it. Anything else is just going to cost you time and more grief,

There are occassions when even the most knowledgeable have to consult.

KK
--
*Manner Of Operation

lugnut1

Threads
came across this:

manual coverage: Lawn tractors from 2005-on having "7" as the 5th character of the 11 character factory model number.
(not sure if it pertains to your riding mower, the fifth character in your model no. is a 7)

has electrical circuit information

scrolldown to lawn tractors and garden tractor section and click on manual number 769-06667 on the right
go to run circuit section.

Professional Shop Manuals

also:
for products manufactured prior to 1999
http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/770-10579.pdf

Last edited:

lugnut1

Threads
It sounds like a safety switch problem to me as well but I didn't think I could start it by going straight to the starter if it was a safety switch problem. It does have a fuel solenoid on it, that might have something to do with it; I will look into that. Thank you.
I've had riding mowers that had kill sw. on the run circuit (seat sw.)