Bearings went out on 46" deck spindle

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
The rebuild parts arrived today so after a nice motorcycle around the area to relax and get my head in order I decided to remove the bearings from the deck and get to replacing them. First one was a bit of a booger bear to remove as it was frozen solid, end up busting the top inner race out, then dug out about 10 years worth of grass from around the spacer then placed a socket over the spacer and tapped down on it with a hammer. That drove the bottom bearing and spacer out the bottom of the deck. All well and good, threw the blade adaptor, small spacer, and other bits in the ultrasound cleaner to de gunk em and then Tom got stupid. When trying to break free the blade nut on the next blade, my hand hit the corner of the blade and I gashed my hand pretty good. Back in the house to clean it up, wrap it up and call around for a tetanus shot at 7:30 on July 3rd. Good luck there. Found a Walgreens that could do it, well $65.00 later I now have a sore hand and sore shoulder from the shot. No more mower work tonight. But the replacement parts look real good. Bearings are not sealed so I will be adding a grease fitting to each spindle assembly.
You all be safe
Tom

pumper54,
That was a good, but sad story.

Are you sure you're from Texas?

We don't call that a cut...that's a scratch.

You didn't ruin any of your clothes did you?

You didn't need a tourniquet ...

You didn't need a transfusion, did you?

Pumper54

Threads
LOL, not a native born Texan but been here since Nov 1979. Actually it looks better then it is, kinda deep and the bleeding had stopped when I took that picture. Nothing that a "coldbeer" will not cure. But I don't drink so I guess a root beer is in order. No clothes ruined but I did drip blood on the mower deck. I think that mower likes the taste of my blood as I have given it some before. Smashed and cut my thumb changing out the belts on it before. All in all it does what I ask of it.
Tom

KrashnKraka

Threads
[...]
I think that mower likes the taste of my blood as I have given it some before. Smashed and cut my thumb changing out the belts on it before. All in all it does what I ask of it.
Tom

... "blooded machine", or as the church goin' here (.au) say, "christened".

Sorry I can't emphatise more but as it is I gotta take yer word on the severity.
This 10" Tab wont pick up photos here.. I'd need to fire up a PC.

I did read a thread here on a fella hand cranking a rotor using the blade
to set the position.
Sometime back I had some minor work done in day surgery, there was a
fella there getting skin graft repair work done. He had done much the
same thing as I read. Cost him some months off work and two fingers.
Says more than "ouch!".

... take (more) care :)

KK

KrashnKraka

Threads
pumper54,
[...]
We don't call that a cut...that's a scratch.

... the storyline for 6M Dollar Man (bionic) had to come outa
TEXAS , yeh???

Any injury sorta pales the cut an' thrust of a good mow. [pun]

KK

possum

Threads
In Kansas we would not own up to that cut. If asked we would not even have answered. I hope your hand did not injure the blade. Good luck with those bearings.

KrashnKraka

Threads
In Kansas we would not own up to that cut. If asked we would not even have answered. I hope your hand did not injure the blade. Good luck with those bearings.

Yer makin' me squamish.
I bleed...?... I squeal. Take no drugs tho' ;)

KK

Pumper54

Threads

I did it to make fun of myself as much as pass on info about being safe.
Tom

Pumper54

Threads
Replaced all the bearings in the three spindles, add grease fittings to two of them that did not have them and basically cleaned up the deck. Replaced the front roller with one I got from the local mower shop. Came off an all tore up Cub Cadet deck but was the same size as the old one and it was free so I am not complaining. ;-) . Hand has healed up nicely, thank you very much.
Tom

KrashnKraka

Threads
Replaced all the bearings in the three spindles, add grease fittings to two of them that did not have them and basically cleaned up the deck. Replaced the front roller with one I got from the local mower shop. Came off an all tore up Cub Cadet deck but was the same size as the old one and it was free so I am not complaining. ;-) . Hand has healed up nicely, thank you very much.
Tom
Good One!
I think yer hand gave me the flu!
Two days flat on me back when not hunched over a
bowl of steaming eucalyptus oil!
Still 'fuzzy' but comin' good :)

KK

Pumper54

Threads
Good One!
I think yer hand gave me the flu!
Two days flat on me back when not hunched over a
bowl of steaming eucalyptus oil!
Still 'fuzzy' but comin' good :)

KK

Sorry about the flu my friend. Hope you are much better by now.
Tom