Shopping for riding lawn mower..."the best" within reason. Steep hill

jcoplan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Shopping for riding lawn mower..."the best" within reason. Steep hill
Hi everyone,

Who knew such a thing as a lawn mower forum existed :).

We are in the process of moving into a new home with a fairly steep hill. I have mowed my current lawn for the last 11 years with a Toro Personal Pace that was when the body was of higher quality (bought in 2004) than apparently they are today. I have been very happy with it, and because I keep my machines maintained (by professionals, I'm useless myself), it has been great.

Mowing on this new hill has been unbearable, though. I have to mow across it due to the layout of the lawn, so not only am I a full mower strip below my mower, my ankle is getting crushed at an ankle the entire time.

I prefer walking, but I may have to get a riding mower because of this.

When I buy machines, I tend to spend what I need to get something that will last for the long run when maintained. I also see the difference in what specialty shops sell as opposed to big box retailers, often from the same brand.

I dropped into a local Toro dealer today, and they said the zero turn mowers aren't best on a hill. They sell Simplicity, which the guy said was "lesser known, but higher quality". He also told me I probably need a "tractor" rather than a zero turn.

So forgetting that bias (if I should), is there some form of consensus about "the best" for what I've described? I realize there is always subjective opinion, but I would assume there is a "Honda" of lawn mowers.

I'm looking forward to the comments.

JC

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone,

Who knew such a thing as a lawn mower forum existed :).

We are in the process of moving into a new home with a fairly steep hill. I have mowed my current lawn for the last 11 years with a Toro Personal Pace that was when the body was of higher quality (bought in 2004) than apparently they are today. I have been very happy with it, and because I keep my machines maintained (by professionals, I'm useless myself), it has been great.

Mowing on this new hill has been unbearable, though. I have to mow across it due to the layout of the lawn, so not only am I a full mower strip below my mower, my ankle is getting crushed at an ankle the entire time.

I prefer walking, but I may have to get a riding mower because of this.

When I buy machines, I tend to spend what I need to get something that will last for the long run when maintained. I also see the difference in what specialty shops sell as opposed to big box retailers, often from the same brand.

I dropped into a local Toro dealer today, and they said the zero turn mowers aren't best on a hill. They sell Simplicity, which the guy said was "lesser known, but higher quality". He also told me I probably need a "tractor" rather than a zero turn.

So forgetting that bias (if I should), is there some form of consensus about "the best" for what I've described? I realize there is always subjective opinion, but I would assume there is a "Honda" of lawn mowers.

I'm looking forward to the comments.

JC

What your dealer told you about a ztr not being the best on hills isn't exactly true. A ztr can be very efficient on hills if used correctly. Most ztr's will have a lower center of gravity than a tractor and are more maneuverable than a tractor and are rated up to a 15 degree slope according to the manufacturers. The Simplicity has been on the market for a number of years so when he tells you it's lesser known there's a reason why.
The best mower or the ones that are rated higher as far as mowing the highest degree of slope or incline are going to be a Stand-On mower of some type, a Toro Grandstand or Wright, Gravely etc. Those will mow an incline or slopes up to 20 degrees. As far as mowing slopes a tractor would be the last thing I would buy. Without knowing your budget and what your willing to spend it's hard to say what to tell you to buy.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If we had some measurement of angle to go by to better understand your slope that would be helpful. A simple rise over run measure of what seems to be your steepest area would be sufficient. Maybe a 2 ft. level for the run and a tape measure or ruler for the rise measurement would do it.

jcoplan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the comments. I figured I should have some slope measurements to be more specific. I'll work on that.

As far as budget, I would expect to be in the $2k-4k range. To put it another way, I don't want to get by cheap, but when I see a tractor for $7,000, that feels like way more than I need to spend for a 3/4 acre lawn.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the comments. I figured I should have some slope measurements to be more specific. I'll work on that.

As far as budget, I would expect to be in the $2k-4k range. To put it another way, I don't want to get by cheap, but when I see a tractor for $7,000, that feels like way more than I need to spend for a 3/4 acre lawn.

How about a picture of the slope or incline? That would help.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

$7000 for a lawn tractor is insane, for that kinda of money you could buy a commercial Stander or ZTR. I check out and do a lot of estimates for my business and in my experience with people and slopes is they tend to over exaggerate the degree of slope there trying to mow. For 3/4 of an acre and in the $2k-4k range the mowers that comes to mind would be the Hustler Raptor s Toro MX series ZTR or if you wanted to stay with a push type mower, the Toro Turf-Master 30" or Exmark 30" would work well for what your trying to mow and they run about $1700 and there both commercial mowers and would give you a time savings of about 40% over your 21" mower.