Murray riding lawn tractor model #400600x8 turns but does not start

Dario_7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray riding lawn tractor model #400600x8 turns but does not start
I have this murray lawn tractor that did not turn at first. I checked and found that fuse was burned out so I replaced it. Now it turns but won't start. I figured it is something with a safety switch so I bypassed the seat safety switch and now it turns on but as soon as I release the brake/clutch it turns off. I checked the safety switch and it seems to be working properly but am not sure because my multimeter is a cheaper one. Could this be that I just need to replace this safety switch or is it the clutch safety switch (which I cannot find anywhere)? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, I have the tractor in my driveway and can't move it cause it does not have a neutral position and is very heavy to drag cause it's in park when off. Thank you

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have this murray lawn tractor that did not turn at first. I checked and found that fuse was burned out so I replaced it. Now it turns but won't start. I figured it is something with a safety switch so I bypassed the seat safety switch and now it turns on but as soon as I release the brake/clutch it turns off. I checked the safety switch and it seems to be working properly but am not sure because my multimeter is a cheaper one. Could this be that I just need to replace this safety switch or is it the clutch safety switch (which I cannot find anywhere)? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, I have the tractor in my driveway and can't move it cause it does not have a neutral position and is very heavy to drag cause it's in park when off. Thank you
On the side of the engine ( probably left side ) there is a magneto ground wire that kills the engine. Temporarily disconnect it and if the engine runs we pretty well know it's a safety switch problem or a chaffed wire somewhere killing the mag through the safety shut downs.

Dario_7

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the side of the engine ( probably left side ) there is a magneto ground wire that kills the engine. Temporarily disconnect it and if the engine runs we pretty well know it's a safety switch problem or a chaffed wire somewhere killing the mag through the safety shut downs.

I tried disconnected the black ground wire that connects to the engine and it still did not turn. It sounded the same as before. I replaced the seat safety switch and tried it again and did the same. It just turns and almost turned on once then just stayed turning and would not start the engine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried disconnected the black ground wire that connects to the engine and it still did not turn. It sounded the same as before. I replaced the seat safety switch and tried it again and did the same. It just turns and almost turned on once then just stayed turning and would not start the engine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

If it is a safety switch, it won't turn over...it does nothing.
Don't bypass safeties...sometimes two or more bypassed does what you are talking about on releasing the clutch.

You have to determine if you have spark or not.

Is the problem...not getting spark or is it not getting fuel?...without knowing for sure, you are messing it up worse by just doing things.

Dario_7

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is a safety switch, it won't turn over...it does nothing.
Don't bypass safeties...sometimes two or more bypassed does what you are talking about on releasing the clutch.

You have to determine if you have spark or not.

Is the problem...not getting spark or is it not getting fuel?...without knowing for sure, you are messing it up worse by just doing things.

So then it must not be a safety switch because I put safety switch back in place and it does turn but won't start completely. I checked the spark in the spark plug and it does have a blueish spark as I read it should be. So what do you think it could be if it's not the safety switches or spark? I have a cut off valve installed from the gas tank to engine to shut it off when it is not in use but I do open it everytime before I try to start it. Thanks for your help.

Dario_7

Forum Newbie
Threads

Still no luck I put the safety switch back and tried to turn it on. It actually almost started but then turned off. Still can't figure out what is wrong with it. Do you know how to put this model in neutral so I can move it out of my driveway? It has one pedal for reverse and forward but there is no neutral.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still no luck I put the safety switch back and tried to turn it on. It actually almost started but then turned off. Still can't figure out what is wrong with it. Do you know how to put this model in neutral so I can move it out of my driveway? It has one pedal for reverse and forward but there is no neutral.

Look for a wire rod, maybe in the very back...you pull it out to freewheel...it can still be hard to push.
It might be in front of the seat.

Have you tried starting fluid or putting a little gas in the carb? If it tried to start it probably has fire.

It must not be getting fuel.
Does your mower have a fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

Dario_7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look for a wire rod, maybe in the very back...you pull it out to freewheel...it can still be hard to push.
It might be in front of the seat.

Have you tried starting fluid or putting a little gas in the carb? If it tried to start it probably has fire.

It must not be getting fuel.
Does your mower have a fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

Actually before I got your msg about the wire rod for freewheel I used a jack and jacked up the mower from rear wheels and I pulled it backwards and out of the way. It was just the rear tires that are locked and therefore I was able to move it. And about the engine... I installed a fuel cutoff valve from gas tank to carb a few months ago because I got a tip online which suggested it when it was getting gas in mixed with oil and would not start. It seemed to fix the problem was was working until a few weeks ago when it would just not start anymore. So everytime I am gonna use it I open the shut off valve and close it when not in use. Do you think this might be affecting the carb? Thanks for your help

Rokon

Threads
Since we have no idea what engine you have we can only guess...

It actually almost started but then turned off. Still can't figure out what is wrong with it.

With this bit of info I would be curious what the flywheel key looks like.

Mikel1

Threads
So do you have fuel to the carb?