John Deer LX255 Don't start

Dickie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let renters use the mower, it had only been run 3 times when I had to move. told them to take care of yard, well they left key on as well as light. (I think they forgot it until it ran out of gas) the next dumb thing was to jump it w/ a car. Now it don't run, smoke come out of wiring board on engine side of dash. Any body have any thoughts ?????

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let renters use the mower, it had only been run 3 times when I had to move. told them to take care of yard, well they left key on as well as light. (I think they forgot it until it ran out of gas) the next dumb thing was to jump it w/ a car. Now it don't run, smoke come out of wiring board on engine side of dash. Any body have any thoughts ?????

See if the battery will take a charge.Check all fuses.
Add gas
try and start it. Then go from there.

Dickie

Forum Newbie
Threads
See if the battery will take a charge.Check all fuses.
Add gas
try and start it. Then go from there.

I miss lead you, it will run if using a jumper battery. It's when you take jumper off, it starts to smoke at the ignition board.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I miss lead you, it will run if using a jumper battery. It's when you take jumper off, it starts to smoke at the ignition board.

So, you are saying...if you had a spare battery put it below your steering wheel, connected it to the mower battery, the mower will start and run fine as long as it is hooked up?

Or, it just starts smoking at the ignition module after the mower starts?

Either way, can you see what burned? if there is smoke there is fire. A close examination should reveal what is burnt on the module.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the current condition of your John Deere. I'm moving your thread over to the JD section to get some more answers.

Dickie

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, you are saying...if you had a spare battery put it below your steering wheel, connected it to the mower battery, the mower will start and run fine as long as it is hooked up?

Or, it just starts smoking at the ignition module after the mower starts?

Either way, can you see what burned? if there is smoke there is fire. A close examination should reveal what is burnt on the module.

Yes it's a little round thing like a AAA short battery

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes it's a little round thing like a AAA short battery

My board has a couple of capacitors on it...one is bigger around than AAA the other is probably smaller.

So, I guess your circuit board is shot unless you think you can unsolder that capacitor and find the right one to solder back in. It might be worth a try if you find the capacitor cheaply. That is probably a common capacitor.

Ladder107

Forum Newbie
Threads
My board has a couple of capacitors on it...one is bigger around than AAA the other is probably smaller.

So, I guess your circuit board is shot unless you think you can unsolder that capacitor and find the right one to solder back in. It might be worth a try if you find the capacitor cheaply. That is probably a common capacitor.

PLEASE TELL ME THE OUTCOME. I JUST SMOKED MY CIRCUIT BOARD THE EXACT SAME WAY TODAY. JUMP STARTING THEN THE BOARD STARTS SMOKING. HELP!