Scag Cheetah VS Ferris 3200, really tough call!

Guzzler

Threads
I posted earlier on which motor is best for 61" Cheetah, almost settled. To be safe, I found a Ferris dealer and drove a new 3200 with the 37HP Kawa expecting to hate it?an, was I wrong. Loved it! I have been driving Scag for 10 years for farm use and am a huge fan of Scag quality.

About same price for the Cheetah with 31 kawa and the Ferris 3200 with the 37 Kawa. A lot of money and I don't want to blow this, any help would be so much appreciated.

1) My impression is Scag is a little better built, heavier deck, etc. Agree? If so, is it significant. I am using for farm and a few family fall clean-ups. Maybe 100 hours a year.

2) The ICD deck is decent but it was dry. Does it do OK with damp or wet grass without clogging?

3) Are there any huge problems with the new model 3200? I saw a few posts on belt issues etc but hard to tell if that is a big deal?

4) Again, since all of my history is Scag I feel like I am going out on a limb. Anything else I need to know about Ferris 3200?

This topic is broad but I will take any/all opinions as part of my decision.

Thanks!

Guzzler

Threads
I should add one thing. After the test drives, I think I am leaning toward the Ferris. Didn't expect to be going away from Scag but the suspension and the higher HP Kawi for about the same $$ is hard to pass-up. Advice, please!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I should add one thing. After the test drives, I think I am leaning toward the Ferris. Didn't expect to be going away from Scag but the suspension and the higher HP Kawi for about the same $$ is hard to pass-up. Advice, please!

The ferris is3200 is a great mower. You can't beat the ride, and the icd deck cuts great. They are very solid mowers. Btw, don't rule out the new 36 hp big block vanguard. It is a great engine. My father has a snapper pro s200xt with the 32 hp vanguard big block and it's a power house. Snapper pro and ferris are built on the same frame with the same icd deck. The only difference is the suspension on the ferris. I am also a fan of scag, but they are kind of pricey. The velocity deck is one of the best cutting decks out there. Especially when cutting wet grass. I would also give the edge to ferris though. I read the post on your other thread concerning the complaint of the ferris throwing belts. I haven't seen that problem with my dad's 61" s200xt with the same deck and he uses that mower like a bush hog at times. I also haven't had the problem with any of the ferris mowers I have run, or been around.

Guzzler

Threads
Thanks so much, very helpful comments!

UN 1263

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally, I'd go Scag / Kawi, but I'm not impartial. ;)

If you need a tie breaker, which dealer is closer to your home? If this is a residential mower, which dealer is open Saturday mornings?

I'm moving from metro ATL to the GA mountains and the closest Scag dealer is at least an hour away so it's not too hard to sell this mower before I move. About my only local choices are Kubota and Exmark so it looks like I'll be going Kubota-something.

Guzzler

Threads
Only one dealer really close to me,carries Scag, and very unlikely I would buy anything from them-long story. So, all the remaining Scag and Ferris dealers are all about 25 mi away. Pretty much a tie in that department, not awful but would be nice to have that perfect dealer right around the corner.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only one dealer really close to me,carries Scag, and very unlikely I would buy anything from them-long story. So, all the remaining Scag and Ferris dealers are all about 25 mi away. Pretty much a tie in that department, not awful but would be nice to have that perfect dealer right around the corner.

I would rather have a great dealer 25 miles away than a bad dealer 5 miles away. If it your decision is a tie between the two brands go with the better dealer.

Guzzler

Threads
Still deciding,been really busy. Probably take one more look today if I can get to both dealers.

I have seen a couple of main complaints for the Ferris 3200. One is snapping belts and the other is loose collars underneath somewhere? Anyone know if these are still issues?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still deciding,been really busy. Probably take one more look today if I can get to both dealers.

I have seen a couple of main complaints for the Ferris 3200. One is snapping belts and the other is loose collars underneath somewhere? Anyone know if these are still issues?

As for snapping belts, I haven't seen an issue with the ferris mowers I have been around. The s200xt my dad has uses the same deck. He has around 250 hours on it and has had to put one belt on it, but he isn't easy on a mower. He mows four foot grass in places around his horse pasture and farm shop from time to time, as well as 8 to 9 acres of lawn. I have never heard of a complaint of a loose collar on a ferris. I can't help with that one.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several IS 3200 operators on lawnsite have commented about their new machines throwing the deck drive belt and spindle pulleys not tight. Haven't heard what the resolve is as many don't follow up and comment as to how their problem was solved.
I have always admired the suspension on Ferris ZTRs. In 2008 I set out to purchase an IS 2000, the dealer was on vacation, checked out Kubota, wasn't impressed, ended up with a Scag Tiger Cub/collection system. I have since installed an aftermarket suspension seat on the Tiger Cub. My Hustler X-ONE is used in a cemetery, one tough machine and easy to maneuver despite its size and weight, rear discharge machine.

Last edited: