Uneven cut craftsman 42in cut

asiloj41

Threads
Ok I have put new spindles, new blades, and still the blades are uneven when you spin together, my brother does all the work and is very smart! Need advice of what to do next! Deck is level was cutting fine when a spindle went bad now it it is awful! I read somewhere that you could shim the spindle but do not understand how and why that would work, blade is only out on one side! Craftsman 42 in. Model 917.270532! Thanks for any info!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok I have put new spindles, new blades, and still the blades are uneven when you spin together, my brother does all the work and is very smart! Need advice of what to do next! Deck is level was cutting fine when a spindle went bad now it it is awful! I read somewhere that you could shim the spindle but do not understand how and why that would work, blade is only out on one side! Craftsman 42 in. Model 917.270532! Thanks for any info!

You would shim the one side that is off.
Think of the spindle as leaning...
You would try a variation of washers to even it out...you might have two washers in one spot ans one in another, or a thick and a thin...etc
Take a piece of paper and small ruler...someone had a measuring gauge they made a few days ago on the forum with pictures)
maybe if you measure the tips of each blade at different positions...they can be level at 6 o'clock and uneven at 12 O'clock for example.

asiloj41

Threads
Thanks for the info my brother said that isn't it? Stil looking for answers though!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

QUOTE:Blades are uneven when you spin together.

Take the blades off and lay one on top of the other to check for a bent blade. They should match perfect. I realize they are new but just do it before doing something completely un-necessary.

If the blades are true make a gauge similar to this one so measurements can be recorded since there will be several measurements and numbers aren't something we need at this time. Install the styrofoam strip so the bottom end reaches the bottom of the gauge.

Park the tractor on a known ( flat ) surface ( no need to be level, just flat ) , with tire pressure correct and deck height set about where you usually choose to mow. Position the left blade 90° to tractor length and check both cutting edges of that blade for height while in that 90ï½° position and compare. Only one mark should appear on the styrofoam strip or very close depending on how flat the surface is the tractor is on. Label that strip left blade cutting edges etc.

Install a new strip and repeat that procedure on the right hand blade.

After checking both blades then the two can be compared for height from the base of the gauge.

That's good enough for now until we determine those readings to see if, or where things are off.

Attachments

• deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31

asiloj41

Threads
Made sure blades were right when we brought them, also all tire pressure is correct, these are old suggestions, have read all theses ideas elsewhere, need NEW IDEAS, we went thru all the old ideas! But thanks for the replies!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Made sure blades were right when we brought them, also all tire pressure is correct, these are old suggestions, have read all theses ideas elsewhere, need NEW IDEAS, we went thru all the old ideas! But thanks for the replies!

What an attitude... How could any one know what you have read or done?
The guy spent effort to post to try and help you.

Did you go to the trouble and actually do it? Measure each blade? At various positions...I doubt it...you just eyeballed it good...

Good luck.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a short answer but thought it would be somewhat demeaning but now I can post it.

Your very smart brother put one of the blades on upside down. :laughing:

Mikel1

Threads
I had a short answer but thought it would be somewhat demeaning but now I can post it.

Your very smart brother put one of the blades on upside down. :laughing:

Lmao:laughing:

asiloj41

Threads
For one thing The blades are not on upside down, was not trying to demean anyone, I am 50 + yr old woman who knows how to work on things! I have had 3 chevelle malibu's, I have worked in machine shops! So do not treat me like a bimbo! I have a 3 bay concert floor we did measure the blades when we brought them! I do not know where you get off at, I have been reading blogs for days making notes! And this is what kind of crap I get! We can not understand how a great cutting machine started cutting so bad! I have had this lawn tractor for 2 yrs! I have taken care of it! It was used when I got it, but it cut great no problems! What changed beside the bad spindle? We have checked and double checked everything! And by the way my brother was a engineer! He is no dummy either!

Mikel1

Threads
No one here knows what you have found or seen on the web. They are trying to help you.
Post up some pics so everyone can see exactly what the problem is.