Uneven cut craftsman 42in cut

HughDaHand

Threads
When the new mandrel was install did the spacer get put back under the pulley?

Was the new mandrel compared to the old to make sure that you received the correct part?

Was the mandrel a OEM or after market part?

When the old mandrel was damaged was the deck also damaged or bent?

You can complain all you want about getting suggested things you already checked but since we were not present we can't know what you have done. Those things keep coming up because they are the most common causes.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what is been posted it appears that when you put the blade tips together they are not even in the middle. Is that correct?

if my assumption is correct, it can only be caused by 3 things. The blades are bent, The spindle housing is uneven and isn't sitting flat on the deck housing or the deck is sprung. How far off are the blade tips. A picture would tell us a lot about the issues you are having.

asiloj41

Threads
2 set of Brand New Blades, Spindles from Sears! Yes all parts were put back correctly. When you turn the blades to see if they are even the left blade is 1/8 in. out on one side only, everything else is fine blades are even when you turn them the around the other ways! Both sets of new blades are the same 1/8 in. out on one side only on left blade! Also the star on the spindle is what was wrong with the old spindle it was just plain wore out! This is why I replaced both of them at the same time! Also one of the spindles looked like it had been replaced before I owed this mower! Seems funny it mowed perfect before the spindle went bad, has us baffled, and just for a small note I have note hit anything with the mower!

ScottsRider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have put new spindles, new blades, and still the blades are uneven when you spin together, my brother does all the work and is very smart! Need advice of what to do next! Deck is level was cutting fine when a spindle went bad now it it is awful! I read somewhere that you could shim the spindle but do not understand how and why that would work, blade is only out on one side! Craftsman 42 in. Model 917.270532! Thanks for any info!

I was noticing the same thing. My right blade was cutting higher than the left blade. I thought that the blade might just be dull and sharpened it and a better cut but still higher. I thought that maybe the left blade was bent and cutting a little bit lower. When I removed the blade and sharpened it I noticed the at the right anti scalp wheel was higher than the other three wheels. They were almost all three touching the ground except the front right wheel that was at least an inch or more higher than the others. I thought that maybe something was bent on the mower deck. Here is what I came up with. I like mowing on the highest level for the height for the deck. I decided to lower the deck and drive through the uncut grass area to see what I get, and the cut was even all the way through. I mowed the rest of the yard on the lower level and the cut was even. Go figure !!! I have the same Craftsman 42" mower. Nice mower.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
2 set of Brand New Blades, Spindles from Sears! Yes all parts were put back correctly. When you turn the blades to see if they are even the left blade is 1/8 in. out on one side only, everything else is fine blades are even when you turn them the around the other ways! Both sets of new blades are the same 1/8 in. out on one side only on left blade! Also the star on the spindle is what was wrong with the old spindle it was just plain wore out! This is why I replaced both of them at the same time! Also one of the spindles looked like it had been replaced before I owed this mower! Seems funny it mowed perfect before the spindle went bad, has us baffled, and just for a small note I have note hit anything with the mower!

Just taking a shot in the dark, you might check to see if one of the ears on the mandrel isn't cracked or broken. They're cast. So they're easy to break. Also, the one side seems to be cutting too low, it could be that the other side is the culprit, and cutting too high.

I get the feeling that this problem is an extremely simple one. So simple that it is being overlooked.

Jack up the front end, right in the middle and see if the front axle is loose enough to pivot as it's supposed to. You might check to see if the plastic bushings aren't worn out.
https://www.ebay.com/p/AYP-Craftsma...6-Set-of-8/4021421172?iid=361523241021&chn=ps

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would consider 1/8 inch to be within tolerances and it shouldn't have a noticeable effect on cut quality.

Last edited: