allis chalmmers

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
doug...
You are most likely thinking of the years ago, real AC mower garden tractors. Like the 720. 620 or some of the older Simplicity models made at the time AC owned Simplicity...
The name AC disappeared some years ago and has recently been reintroduced by Briggs & Strat ... not nearly the same and is much like most of the disposable rider mowers made today, don't expect anything like the old models. Only the name is back. KennyV

Threads
Ken,
Thank you very much for your resonse. It was very clear. I was hoping that there was a good riding mower out there that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Again, thank you for your response.

Doug

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Doug ...
I see your mower IS an AC.
Were you thinking of getting another, as in replacing the one you have, or just wanting another? KennyV

Threads
Ken,

I have a John Deere L130, 3 or 4 years old with a bad transmission and I have a Murray Ultra 46" that is 14 years old and works well. I was hoping to find a quality riding mower that was not only less expensive to purchase but also less expensive to repair than the Deere. I have several estimates for repair of the Deer's transmission...all are over $900.

My best friend, before he passed, recommended the Allis Chalmers. I thought that I would buy one if they still made them.

I was confused when filling out the form. Thinking they wanted to know what I wanted for a machine, I put down the Challmers.

Whew, that was a lot of work but accurate...I think...

Do you know of a machine that might satisify the above. I would by another Murray ultra if they still made them.

I know you asked a simple question and I gave you a book. Sorry Ken.

Thanks,
Doug

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Doug, Do you have a lot of mowing? Mostly open area, are there tight spots to get around.
And possibly the hardest question to answer... How long do you expect a replacement mower to be with you?
I have friends that have grown accustom to the notion that they need to replace their mower every 2 or 3 years:frown:.
...KennyV

tugboatphil

Threads
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor, I think an 02. I have the parts book on my computer. Toward the end they have replacement decals and in addition to the Simplicity they have decals for Agco Allis and Massey Ferguson.

Same machine, but different paint. One difference is the Simplicity has a free floating deck front with a line of rollers across the back. The AA and MF have 4 wheels on the deck.

Agco Allis is what used to be Allis Chalmers.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dad had a number of Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors -- If I remember correctly it was a B-1 then a B-10 and a couple after that. Belly Mower - Tiller - Snow Blower

The only thing I can remember them needing were replacing worn v-belts. Great little tractors ! :thumbsup:

dusty-t

Threads
Hi Guys. As far as I know they still make the Simplicity mowers. Even a small 4x4 tractor. Fairly expensive. But a good solid machine. I have not really researched them as there is too much Kubota orange in my blood.:biggrin: Dusty

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, all Allis-chalmers lawn and garden tractors were built by Simplicity, and for every AC lawn and garden model there ever was, there was also a simplicity twin. Because AC wholly owned Simplicity.

B&S actually bought simplicity, and simplicity is still kinda its own company, with its own dealer network. B&S PPG (Power Products Group) also owns snapper and I think husquavarna......

But, sorry to say, AC is gone. If they re-appear, it'll be like Massey-furgeson, just a shadow of its former self......