dixon ztr not charging battery

cmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have dixon 3302 with a replacement Briggs engine, mod#28b707-1152-e1. this is the 2nd year for the new engine. The mower was installed by a reputable
(I thought) service shop. It has a brand new battery but still needs to be jumped every week or so when I mow. I think the problem is in the charging system.
I get 12.7volts at the battery terminals and no increase when running. the single wire out of the motor
going to the battery wire does not have a diode that I can find. with the engine running I get 1.5volts AC from both sides of the wire out of the engine to
the battery side of the solenoid. I dont need any ac since there are no lights on my mower. Any ideas?
thanks for your time

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the engine has been installed less than 2 years ago, I would take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. Now for the 12.7 at the battery when running, I would say it isn't charging. Now also from what I can gather this may be a regulated charging system. So the battery wire coming from the mower is going into a single onto the engine. Is this wire connected to a small box. The wire between the mower and the engine would be DC not AC. If you are getting 1.5 AC from the wire coming out from under the flywheel then that sounds like a bad stator.

The dealer didn't do anything wrong, things just happen and he should be able to fix it for you.

cmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the engine has been installed less than 2 years ago, I would take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. Now for the 12.7 at the battery when running, I would say it isn't charging. Now also from what I can gather this may be a regulated charging system. So the battery wire coming from the mower is going into a single onto the engine. Is this wire connected to a small box. The wire between the mower and the engine would be DC not AC. If you are getting 1.5 AC from the wire coming out from under the flywheel then that sounds like a bad stator.

The dealer didn't do anything wrong, things just happen and he should be able to fix it for you.

There is no warranty, the "new" motor was used and I traded an old lathe for it. On my mower the red wire comes from the battery to the left side of the solenoid. the right side wire goes to the starter.
I have a red wire coming from inside the engine cover to the wire coming from the battery. this wire has a blade type connector in it. It is my understanding from reading on the web,
that a/c voltage comes out of the engine and a diode converts it to DC to charge the battery. the diode is usually a bulge at the connector. I get the ac reading from one end of connector to the other.(multimeter between the
M/F connectors).

Does Briggs even make a AC only motor in 10.5 HP? Most engines I have seen have two wires coming from the alt/stator, one red with diode and one black(AC for lights).
I thought AC only engines were for cord pull start engines. Is there an easy way to check the alternator without pulling the engine apart? I think the shop I went to has changed hands now and it would be a straight repair
(i.e. expensive) and would take awhile.

thank you for your time.