I added a seat suspension kit to my 52" Hustler Raptor

LeakyGasket

Threads
  • / I added a seat suspension kit to my 52" Hustler Raptor
Old thread is back to life, sort of.

Just got one of these suspension units from the Seat Warehouse. Installation was pretty easy (Fastrak) except for the wiring being a little difficult. Adjustment was easy, and it looks like there is about 1" travel. I may be wrong but it looks like the seat moves as a unit instead of being hinged on the front end. Whatever the case, I can tell this is going to help my ancient back in the future.

Will find out in about one week when I do my first mowing.

mhavanti

Threads
Did you get the kit with the slider or without? If it doesn't have the slider, you'll need to add at least 3/4" of spacers below the suspension kit in order for it to have sufficient downward travel. Otherwise it will bottom out on the seat deck causing a harsh ride as well as wear the paint from both the seat deck and the bottom of the suspension kit.

Know you'll enjoy that suspension kit. I would no longer ride mine without it.

Max

LeakyGasket

Threads
Did you get the kit with the slider or without? If it doesn't have the slider, you'll need to add at least 3/4" of spacers below the suspension kit in order for it to have sufficient downward travel. Otherwise it will bottom out on the seat deck causing a harsh ride as well as wear the paint from both the seat deck and the bottom of the suspension kit.

Know you'll enjoy that suspension kit. I would no longer ride mine without it.

Max

I have the sliders that came with the mower, which I mounted to the suspension. I hope I am understanding you correctly. The seat now moves up and down about 1". Do I still need the spacers? I didn't check to see if it hits the mower deck, but I will when I get out to where it's stored tomorrow.

mhavanti

Threads
LG

Your seat had a slider already on it? If so, if it is 3/4" thick, it will be plenty sufficient to increase the distance between the bottom of the suspension seat kit and the top of the seat deck. If it isn't a full 3/4" it will require that distance at a minimum.

The seat will actually travel about 1 3/4" to 2" downward during hard bumps.

Hope that is helpful.

Max

LeakyGasket

Threads
LG

Your seat had a slider already on it? If so, if it is 3/4" thick, it will be plenty sufficient to increase the distance between the bottom of the suspension seat kit and the top of the seat deck. If it isn't a full 3/4" it will require that distance at a minimum.

The seat will actually travel about 1 3/4" to 2" downward during hard bumps.

Hope that is helpful.

Max

Yes, the slider came with the mower. I just checked the slider vertical thickness, and it is about 1" at the back and more at the front. I can also see now that it moves down more than the 1" I thought, more like what you said (real hard to measure that by myself). Thanks for your help. I am pretty sure this is really going to improve the ride.

mhavanti

Threads
LG,

There is no doubt in my mind that you'll enjoy the mower much more than before. Now, get a set of flex forx and you'll be as set as you can be with a Hustler.

Max

iclick

Threads
I installed the Raptor model that included the slider. Install was easy and the mod made a big difference in ride quality on my rough yard. I also added the Hustler Flex Forks, which added even more compliance but didn't represent as big an improvement as the seat kit, IMO. The seat kit came with the switch wiring extension, but the blade connectors leave a small metal portion exposed, which if contact is made with a ground will trip the 15A fuse on the battery. This happened to me the first time I sat down on the seat with the engine running, so I added some insulation over the connectors and secured it to the seat frame so it wouldn't move around. The problem has not recurred.

LeakyGasket

Threads
Well, about a week ago I gave the suspension it's first test. It worked well.

The area I cut is rough as heck -- right next to farm fields with field "leftovers", etc., dropped here and there, moles working their magic, and on and on. Rough as heck. Before, without the suspension, I was on a bucking bronco with teeth jarring bumps almost constantly. Now, the bronco is still fairly healthy, but the teeth jarring bumps are now gone. Much better. I also put on the flex forks, which, I guess, help.

If I could do it again, I would, for sure.

mhavanti

Threads
LG,

Glad to hear your Bucking Bronco has slightly tamed. I assure you those flex forks are working much harder than you think. I've run my machine without them and with the seat suspension kit. Better, but, not nearly as good with them.

Now, get some dirt, grab a couple of wooden pallets, some concrete blocks tied to the pallets and drag them around the yard filling in the low spots. You could then remove the seat kit and forks and sell them to some other needy mower enthusiast. lol

Are you now a member of Hustler Mower Owner Group in Facebook yet?

Come join us.

Max

DK35vince

Threads
Well, about a week ago I gave the suspension it's first test. It worked well.

The area I cut is rough as heck -- right next to farm fields with field "leftovers", etc., dropped here and there, moles working their magic, and on and on. Rough as heck. Before, without the suspension, I was on a bucking bronco with teeth jarring bumps almost constantly. Now, the bronco is still fairly healthy, but the teeth jarring bumps are now gone. Much better. I also put on the flex forks, which, I guess, help.

If I could do it again, I would, for sure.
Tire pressure can make a difference in ride also.
I run 8 PSI for a smoother ride.