MTD Rear end

Wldkeith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've replaced both drive belts and the mower moves slow. I have to pull the pedal back to get it to go faster. It's a 2005 or 07 model. Need some advice on how to check rear end or if it is bad.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model & serial numbers from tractor data plate or sticker. Scotch front wheels, jack up rear of tractor & give it a go, SAFETY FIRST- MAKE SURE NO PEOPLE OR PETS ARE AROUND. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

Last edited:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum, Keith! :smile:

I am moving your thread to the MTD section for further discussion. Hopefully someone over there can help you figure out what is going on with that mower.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Almost sounds like the belts you bought are too long. Are you sure you replaced the old belts with the exact same size new ones??

Bob E

Threads
Did you install mtd brand belts, put everything back together properly, and re adjust the speed control linkage?

Wldkeith

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I did not readjust it i will try and do that to day? Thanks

Wldkeith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post model & serial numbers from tractor data plate or sticker. Scotch front wheels, jack up rear of tractor & give it a go, SAFETY FIRST- MAKE SURE NO PEOPLE OR PETS ARE AROUND. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

Model# 13AM761F065 Do i need to adjust the linkage?

Bob E

Threads
Dang, The best part about mtd was always their excellent owner's manuals, but when I looked up your manual I see it says some boloney about taking it to an authorized service tech instead of telling you how to replace and adjust the drive belts. No wounder all the guys with newer tractors keep complaining about belt issues on all the forums. Probably saves them thousands on ink and paper...
Anyway I found this manual on their site, page 49.
http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769_06667_700_series_riders.pdf

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only time I have ever had to adjust the linkages is when somebody messed with them after they installed generic belts.

Bob E

Threads
As the belts wear you can tighten it up and keep going for a long time before they need replaced. It was considered routine maintenance a couple decades ago...