tried stihl, never again.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last year I bought top of the line sh 86ce most powerful handheld blower it's been a pain since day 1.

It is nearly impossible to start when it's hot out. 2/3 times I end up pouring gas straight into the carb to start it. Keep in mind I do 20 houses a day.

Well I was pulling the string the other day the recoil spring snapped, ok that's a common part the dealer will have it right? Wrong. I lost both springs in the starter and went to the dealer and had to order the parts 12$ not bad ok. I got home and realized I lost the filter and filter cover in my haste called the dealer to add them to my order. To which he assures me they will have them in stock. A week later (borrowed a blower from my buddy) they call say my parts are in. I go up there they hand me the springs I ask for filter and cover they don't have them say they are a week out on order.

At this point I'm super angry but keep my cool. Say ok what's the cost. The filter us $35 ..... Wtf.. my $1600 lawn mower filter is $10 my truck is $10 why in the he'll is the filtr $35 he says special materials.......

I told him I will not order the parts, I will never buy a stihl again, I will never come here again, and I'm telling all my friends you are idiots. I'm buying an echo.

So I got the springs fixed the starter and am selling as is. Bought a pb250ln for now and will buy the pb 500 in the fall

Mikel1

Threads
$35 for a stihl air filter, ouch. Some people on here complain about a $10 oem oil filter.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently retired my Stihl 86 shredder/blower. Only problem I had with it was the shutoff switch. I used this machine for 10 years, the air filter element is about $5.00.
I now use a Stihl BR600 back pack blower, nice machine!! One place I do takes me 40-50 minutes to blow the parking area, driveways and sidewalks clean.
The machines that I have had problems with are Echos.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The dealer support is just non existent here I tried 3 different dealers 2 were ace hard water and the the one mentioned above all other dealers in town are to far away.

I have 6 echo dealers close to me and a home depot . The dealer I go to is also my Toro dealer. They have enough echo parts on hand the could build a few from scratch lol and when a landscaper goes in with a broken machine they give them a loaner ....

possum

Threads
Only thing I would think about is the filter and cover. Even if the filter and cover cost 35 bucks each I would buy them and put them on the unit. I would not want to give a good price to someone who would sell their blower with those parts missing. No way. Fix it right. Then sell it. If you can afford new Echos, You can afford to fix the Stihl.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Common problem when frustration takes over the mind.

Won't start so in an attempt the string is pulled to the end. Recoil spring breaks. Pulling to the end seldom starts anything that doesn't want to start.

At an auction bought an old outboard Johnson motor for 10 cents on the dollar because of that very mistake being demonstrated.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The dealer support is just non existent here I tried 3 different dealers 2 were ace hard water and the the one mentioned above all other dealers in town are to far away.

I have 6 echo dealers close to me and a home depot . The dealer I go to is also my Toro dealer. They have enough echo parts on hand the could build a few from scratch lol and when a landscaper goes in with a broken machine they give them a loaner ....

:laughing: Ya know I remember when you purchased that blower and you thought it was the best thing since popcorn. Now something goes wrong with and your ready to throw it under the bus and blame Stihl and the dealership for a little problem. No loyalty. :smile:

Threads
Last year I bought top of the line sh 86ce most powerful handheld blower it's been a pain since day 1.

It is nearly impossible to start when it's hot out. 2/3 times I end up pouring gas straight into the carb to start it. Keep in mind I do 20 houses a day.

Well I was pulling the string the other day the recoil spring snapped, ok that's a common part the dealer will have it right? Wrong. I lost both springs in the starter and went to the dealer and had to order the parts 12$ not bad ok. I got home and realized I lost the filter and filter cover in my haste called the dealer to add them to my order. To which he assures me they will have them in stock. A week later (borrowed a blower from my buddy) they call say my parts are in. I go up there they hand me the springs I ask for filter and cover they don't have them say they are a week out on order.

At this point I'm super angry but keep my cool. Say ok what's the cost. The filter us $35 ..... Wtf.. my $1600 lawn mower filter is $10 my truck is $10 why in the he'll is the filtr $35 he says special materials.......

I told him I will not order the parts, I will never buy a stihl again, I will never come here again, and I'm telling all my friends you are idiots. I'm buying an echo.

So I got the springs fixed the starter and am selling as is. Bought a pb250ln for now and will buy the pb 500 in the fall

Sorry about your bad experience with Stihl....on a sidenote I am thinking about buying the PB-500 in the fall as well to help with cleanups.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing: Ya know I remember when you purchased that blower and you thought it was the best thing since popcorn. Now something goes wrong with and your ready to throw it under the bus and blame Stihl and the dealership for a little problem. No loyalty. :smile:

I love the power it has produced. The hot starting has been a problem since day 1 I've taken it to 3 dealers who just tell me I'm starting it wrong. (I've checked manual and YouTube videos coupled with my own knowledge I'm not an idiot) they do nothing. Now I ordered parts they take a week to get in (not the dealers fault I know but still frustrating) I call 30 mins later to order filter and cover he assures me they have it. I get there a week later and they don't and now I'm another week before I get it.

If the hot start got fixed I would not have broken the spring. The above post is exactly what happened. I would not have lost the filter and cover in my haste and frustration. And if they would have ordered filter and cover I would have bought it grudgingly.

And I have since ordered the complete air box and filter assembly for the cheaper bg86 (total cost $25) off eBay I will fix it and only use it in the cooler months that's when I need the power anyway