Cordless electric enthusiast, new to forum.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Just joined your fine forum, looks like us electric mower users are definitely in the minority here :tongue:

I've been using a Black and Decker CMM1000 cordless electric that my wife and I bought 5 years ago. The nearest service centers are over an hour away, so I have had to learn on my own to fix a few problems with it and other electric mowers that belong to friends.

Looking forward to posting, learning, and helping out where I can.

Mark

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LMF, Mark!

That thing looks simmilar to a Neuton......how close are they?

Mark Widmer

Threads
Thanks for the welcome twall!

Looks like mine is comparable to the Neuton CE6: 19" blade, rear-mounted bag, and rated for mowing 1/3 acre**. But my CMM1000 runs on 24 volts while the CE6 used 36 V. Also, the CE6 battery is easily removable (unlike mine), easy to swap in a 2nd battery for cutting larger lawns ... a newer Black and Decker model has the swappable battery as well.

**These manufacturers' acreage ratings must be under pretty ideal conditions. In practice I can't finish my yard on a single charge, and we have a 1/4 acre, not all of which is grass. Needs a 2 hour recharge halfway through mowing in order to finish up.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was intrigued by the neutron (I get Hanyman magazine, and see the ads all the time) for about an hour.:laughing:

Then, I found my Snapper - and the rest is history....

How's that bag for capacity? How many times do you have to empty it in a 1/4 acre? My JD bagger is pathetic - 4 dumps per mow - and I'd say it's about a quarter.......

noma

Threads
Mark widmer

I'm not real impressed with black and decker string trimmer that are cordless i have the grass-hog 18 volt. Those batterys don't last long enuff to trim around 3 building and three trees , it takes two batterys to trim that little bit.Any one have any idea to make those battery's hold a charge longer?:frown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just joined your fine forum, looks like us electric mower users are definitely in the minority here :tongue:

Looking forward to posting, learning, and helping out where I can.

Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark....
I am no longer a user ... but I am a past user & still a proponent of electric mowers ... I had a great pair of John Deere Electric 90's... wonderful electric rider mowers... good to see you here using electricity... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Who needs electric when you have petroleum power! :laughing:

Seriously though, I have a Flymo/Electrolux Micro 330, and a Qualcast Mow 'N' Trim. Both electric, and I use them both from time to time.

Last edited:

Mark Widmer

Threads
Hey, thanks for the additional welcomes, everybody :smile:
How's that bag for capacity? How many times do you have to empty it in a 1/4 acre? My JD bagger is pathetic - 4 dumps per mow - and I'd say it's about a quarter.......
Yeah, it doesn't hold much. But not a big deal for me, I usually go with mulching mode anyway. Except once in a while when I want some cut grass to "feed" my compost pile. The bag is nice for cutting up and compacting leaves in the fall too, but it sure fills up fast like you said.

Mark widmer
I'm not real impressed with black and decker string trimmer that are cordless i have the grass-hog 18 volt. Those batterys don't last long enuff to trim around 3 building and three trees , it takes two batterys to trim that little bit.Any one have any idea to make those battery's hold a charge longer?:frown:
The B&D cordless Grass Hog uses a NiCad battery. Better to get something with a lithium battery. Those batteries last longer, and it's my impression that manufacturers tend to make better chargers for their lithium tools than for ones that use NiCads, in terms of not overcharging the battery.

I'm pretty happy with my Worx cordless trimmer (model GT WG151.5), I can go 20 or 30 minutes on 1 charge. If I had it to do over I would get the slow-charge version instead of the fast 30-minute charger. I wonder (can't confirm it) if the fast charger might have ruined the original battery, which they replaced for free to their credit. Don't know if this is an exception to my "lithium chargers are made better" theory, it could have just been a defective battery too.

Who needs electric when you have petroleum power! :laughing:

Seriously though, I have a Flymo/Electrolux Compact 3000+, and a Qualcast Mow 'N' Trim. Both electric, and I use them both from time to time.
Hard to argue against having power. The less powerful electrics seem more sensitive to dull blades and wet or tall grass, you just have to be willing to accept the limits along with the advantages ... and learn to sharpen your own blades! (Or maybe I should be more careful around all the stones that line our yard :biggrin:)

Mark

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am no longer a user ... but I am a past user & still a proponent of electric mowers ... I had a great pair of John Deere Electric 90's... wonderful electric rider mowers... good to see you here using electricity... :smile:KennyV

I looked those up - they look a lot like my RX75! Too bad they are so rare. :frown: I've never seen one, and had you not mentioned it, would've never known they existed.....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
twall;23434 ... they look a lot like my RX75! ....[/QUOTE said:
I believe everything except the engine compartment is the same...
Too bad you are farrrr away ... I would give you them, I'm sure most pf the parts are the same as the gas version...
The Electric 90 uses a 36 volt constant speed motor that belt drives a 3 speed & reverse standard gear box transaxle, rear drive wheels are a 5 bolt hole but bolt to a 3 bolt hub. Clutch and brake peddles look the same, Steering wheel is a 3 spoke wheel.... :smile:KennyV