Cordless electric enthusiast, new to forum.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Thanks for the part numbers. I see from the B&D site they're back-ordered until June 15. Hope you're willing to post how things work out, once you get them installed. Guess I'll hold off on ordering them for now -- just inspected mine, they have maybe 3/16" left until the spring is completely extended and will no longer push the brush up against the motor. I have now measured the length of the (-) terminal brush with my calipers, so I can monitor its rate of wear.

By the way, be careful with handling the (-) cable that runs between the motor, battery, and circuit board. There is a short length of skinny & stiff wire in that cable, susceptible to breaking if it is flexed back and forth too much. The skinny wire is located in the white insulated part of the cable. I had to repair mine a couple of years ago; here are more details on fixing it in case yours breaks too:

Scroll down the page until you get to "Fixing a broken wire".

Paul Schruben

Threads
CMM1000 replacement brushes

Now Black and Decker says the CMM1000 brushes are backordered until 3/8/2012. Waiting 9 months for parts is not exactly consumer friendly. I'm ordering the MM1800 brushes. It only costs $16 to find out if they work.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: CMM1000 replacement brushes

I'm ordering the MM1800 brushes. It only costs $16 to find out if they work.

Brushes are made from very soft material... You can re-size & re-shape them easily with a common file... get the basic configuration you need and form to fit... :smile:KennyV

Paul Schruben

Threads
Black and Decker CMM1000 lower handle broke

The lower handle on my Black and Decker CMM1000 broke, part number 52 in the diagram. It snapped where the main vertical bolt goes through it. You can see the bolt hole to the left of the number 4 in the diagram. This is a flimsy design, especially considering how heavy the mower is.

The part is on back order. That means it will never be back in stock. If anyone knows where I can obtain this part please let me know. Just for grins I ordered it from the two places that used to stock it, B&D and ToolPartsDirect.com. We'll have a race.

This part is difficult to fix, probably easier to make a new one. It might be time for a new mower.:frown:

Attachments

• handle, lower.jpg
    handle, lower.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 8

Mark Widmer

Threads
Damn, Paul, you are having bad luck with that mower lately. Looks like a 2' or so piece of steel tubing might do the job, but the tricky part would be bending it into the right shape without collapsing the tube at the bend.

Paul Schruben

Threads
Black and Decker CMM1000 lower handle broke

Black and Decker no longer says Backordered. Now it says In stock, limited quantities.
90564274 HANDLE, LOWER

ToolPartsDirect.com shows a new, less expensive part, $6.60 vs $9.67, but it is still not in stock. Same part number as B&D.
90564274 HANDLE, LOWER Replaces 242887-01

So I asked ToolPartsDirect to cancel my order.

Paul Schruben

Threads
CMM1000 lower handle repair

I replaced the broken left lower handle. Simple repair.

But I had I ordered two lower handles, so I thought I might as well replace the right-side handle as well. BIG MISTAKE! This is a difficult repair. The right lower handle anchors the spring that lifts the mower for cutting height adjustment. With the spring attached at both ends, it is very difficult to muscle the handle in place. So I unhooked the front end of the spring where it attaches to the linkage. The handle slid easily into place. Then I made a long hook tool to stretch the spring and attach the front end to the linkage, but the spring is just too strong to stretch that far by hand. So to change cutting height now, I turn the mower on it's side to take the weight off. I'm guessing the factory has a tool that muscles the lower handle in place with the spring attached.

The lithium-battery mowers can't come soon enough.

jnodak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Came across this website while researching brushes for our CMM1000. We have resurrected this mower at least 5 times and after 15 years of ownership, I'm not ready to give up on it. My husband fabricated a left side handle out of electrical conduit, but it did not hold up and eventually both sides of the handle broke. The current fix consists of rebar inserted into the handle tubes that span the breaks. These pieces were then brazed together to form a solid handle base. The handle is much sturdier than ever. Found out today that the CMM1000 has been recalled and if you send it to the service center, they will upgrade it to a CMM1200. Any idea what they all do? I have the phone number for the nearest service center, but am curious if anyone has had there mower upgraded and what all was done. It would be great if we could get a new motor out of it.