Transmission whine and crawl

Scratcher

Threads
All the specs are in my profile. Mower was running fine then transmission started whining and slowed to a crawl. It will only drive if I give it very light throttle. If I push the drive lever full forward or back it stops and makes a loud whining/grinding noise. Is my tranny shot? I am so over this POS SABRE

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That whine/growl is typical of a hydrostat that has scored the pump/motor/center section. You are basically toast. May not be cost effective to repair or replace the transmission

wfrpalm

Threads
Make sure you are not low on fluid, mine did something similar when it lost fluid due to a leak.

Scratcher

Threads
Make sure you are not low on fluid, mine did something similar when it lost fluid due to a leak.

It's a 'filled for life'
sealed unit. There's no way of checking that. Not that I know at least.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can buy a rebuilding kit for it.
Cheap and very easy to do.
Comes with instructions.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look up the transaxle model number on eBay.

Scratcher

Threads
Look up the transaxle model number on eBay.
Would that be the model number of the particular Sabre mower itself, or is there a separate model number stamped on the actual transaxle?
From my initial search on ebay I am only coming up with price tags of $300-$500 for a complete unit. Not finding any rebuild kits. Can you provide a link to one such example of a Sabre rebuild kit?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tranny will have it's own model number tag on the housing. Most likely either hydrogear or tufftorq