Lean fuel on Kohler Courage SV620

fixitdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Built Horse with a Kohler Courage SV620-3215 22 HP engine that is just now running lean. It starts out fine but after a few minutes, under load, it runs lean. I've cleaned the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and cleaned all fuel lines but the problem persists. I'd like to remove the carb, clean that and replace the fuel pump, but I can't remove the carb because the low fuel solenoid hits the frame.
So two questions: 1. What do you think my fuel problem is and 2. how do I remove the carb from the engine short of removing the engine from the frame.
I've had this mower for 3 years and this is the first problem I've encountered.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The solenoid simply unscrews from the float bowl.

fixitdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I turned the solenoid by hand but it did nothing but turn. I see a small nut above it, but I cant get pliers in there, not even needle nose. Ill try to find a smaller pair.
If it makes a difference, my carb is the Nikki type. Thanks again

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have taken the two carb mounting nuts, and jam nutted them together on one of the carb studs and then taken the studs out to remove the carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to kep this mower you will find a pressed spanner really handy.
Or just het some flat bar and file a slot in it.
The solenoids are done up particularly tight.

blackdragon82

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the exact same issue. I have a Horse XP bought in 2013 (only a little older than 2 years) and it will mow for like 30 mins fine then after that die under load every couple of feet. Then other days it will only work for a couple minutes then die start to die. If I just sit there not moving and the blades not engaged it will run all day. I've replaced all the air filters, the spark plug (made sure gap was set right), and the gas cap. I just got the fuel filter in the mail with a full carb repair kit. Mine does not have a fuel pump the gas lines are gravity fed to the carb.

I just went to the local lowes and spent an hour trying out every pair of pliers, wrench, and anything else I thought might take off the fuel shut off solenoid. Nothing fit!! The nut has a little less than 1/8" clearance to get something in there.Gonna try an autoparts store tonight. If anyone has any other ideas other than the carb and everything else I mentioned I am willing to listen.

blackdragon82

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE****
Went to the local autoparts store and bought the smallest pair of pliers for $3. Still couldn't get the solenoid off. I'm positive the carb was empty of fuel and just cleaned it the best I could with cleaner, spraying some in the fuel inlet. Also made sure the fuel lines were clear. Put everything back on and mowed for like 20 minutes then it just died out of nowhere. I'm at a loss. Gonna take it to a local tractor repair place. They have a 2 week wait but I want to know what this is and see how much it will cost to fix. After the fix is done I will post back with findings.

Before anyone says it I tried driving with the fuel cap off, then with no filter on, then both and all 3 times it died on me.

To date I have replaced:
Spark plug
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Gas Cap
Carb gaskets
Brand new gas

fixitdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got the solenoid off using electrical pliers. They are flat enough to get between the bowl and the solenoid. Its not on tight, so getting it off was no problem.
However, the bowl was clean and the solenoid fine.
Onto trying the next possible solution.

I did notice the fuel filter is almost empty when the motor acts up. The carb is simply not pulling fuel into itself, so a carb re-build may be in order.

I took the carb to my workbench and blew into the brass fuel inlet. Rather than having the air freely move into the carb, I felt resistance. I then used vacuum on the inlet and out came bits of dirt and grass. I have no idea how grass got past the filter, but it did. After a little more suction, the line was free and air moved freely.
I put it back together and just finished mowing 3/4 acre of grass with no problem. Problem solved.
I hope your problems are just as easy.
Thanks to Lawn Mower Forum for the assistance and knowledge of so many people.
God Bless.

Last edited:

fixitdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the exact same issue. I have a Horse XP bought in 2013 (only a little older than 2 years) and it will mow for like 30 mins fine then after that die under load every couple of feet. Then other days it will only work for a couple minutes then die start to die. If I just sit there not moving and the blades not engaged it will run all day. I've replaced all the air filters, the spark plug (made sure gap was set right), and the gas cap. I just got the fuel filter in the mail with a full carb repair kit. Mine does not have a fuel pump the gas lines are gravity fed to the carb.

I just went to the local lowes and spent an hour trying out every pair of pliers, wrench, and anything else I thought might take off the fuel shut off solenoid. Nothing fit!! The nut has a little less than 1/8" clearance to get something in there.Gonna try an autoparts store tonight. If anyone has any other ideas other than the carb and everything else I mentioned I am willing to listen.

I finally used a pair of electrical pliers which were thin enough to fit between the bowl and the solenoid. It isn't torqued down tight and is easy to remove.
I took the carb to my workbench and blew into the brass fuel inlet. Rather than having the air freely move into the carb, I felt resistance. I then used vacuum on the inlet and out came bits of dirt and grass. I have no idea how grass got past the filter, but it did. After a little more suction, the line was free and air moved freely.
I put it back together and just finished mowing 3/4 acre of grass with no problem. Problem solved.
God Bless.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I finally used a pair of electrical pliers which were thin enough to fit between the bowl and the solenoid. It isn't torqued down tight and is easy to remove.
God Bless.

Congratulations!