Buy American

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Just realized you posted the above, I couldn't delete the thread so I deleted the message on my Buy American post. Didn't mean to steal your thunder!:laughing:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not my thunder, if everyone would try to buy AMERICAN,
when it is possible,
it would help our economy instead of another country. :thumbsup:

poncho62

Threads
This whole "Buy American" debate sort of makes me laugh.......Americans invented the capitalist system.....The person who makes the best product for the best price is going to sell the most and therefore become the richest....It used to be called the American way.......

Now, we have to remind the masses to buy American?...Why is this so?......American products should be able to stand on their own merits.....If they cant, the people are not going to buy them....we should need no reminder.....Up to you folks.....Thats the American way

Of course, now someone will come back that the Chinese just steal all the American ideas and duplicate them....Well, if thats the case, they should be brought up on charges or the American government should not allow them to be imported......That aint gonna happen, so I guess its alright.......

I remember when I was a kid, there was the same regard for Japanese junk....now they make some of the best products in the world....see a trend?

Point is, American companies need to adapt to the times..........If they dont they are screwed,,,,,all the rah rah, buy American talk isnt going to do a thing.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
poncho62
I see you are from Canada. Your opinion is your opinion and you have a right to express it.
Part of the reason American companies have gone out of business is because of the policies that people in our government (who are supposed to represent us) have given unfair advantage to foreign businesses and taxed some of our own out of business.
If we (as Americans) can help some of our own businesses stay in business and compete, then I see nothing wrong with making that attempt.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I feel one of the main problems is that to many American companys have had their products made overseas because they could make a buck or two more in doing so in the past.

Now that so many foreign countrys own such a large piece of the American pie, that isn't as true as it once was. They don't have to do things as cheap because now they own such a large interest here in America. We have no one to blame but ourselves and they have been laughing all the way to the bank for many years now.

How do we change this? American companys must start having their products made right here in the USA. Yeah, it will cost us a little but it will cost us all a whole lot more in the future if we as manufactures don't. I did my part as a manufacture, I challange all other American companys to follow suit.

An American company doesn't mean "American Made" but it SHOULD!

I'll get off my Soap Box and I'll try hard not to get back on it with the comments I'm sure that are to follow this post. "Just my 2 cent"

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that so many foreign countrys own such a large piece of the American pie, that isn't as true as it once was. They don't have to do things as cheap because now they own such a large interest here in America. We have no one to blame but ourselves and they have been laughing all the way to the bank for many years now.
Could not agree more with this. Most of the parts we use in our "American Made" cars come from mexico or some other foreign country that has no concerns about thier workers or thier environment. This is truly un-american activity.
UH-OH!
I think it's getting political in here:eek:
I'm done

mystreba

Threads
Let the games begin! (and maintain a clear path to the exits) Please all, let's keep it civil. These are, after all, only opinions :wink:

I support anyone's decision to purchase only American products, but overall I tend to agree with Poncho. First, I don't believe that "Buy American" is going to save a company that otherwise might be headed for failure. I'm interested to hear what specific policies are driving American companies into the abyss. And although our corporate tax rates are nearly the highest in the world, American companies leverage the labyrinth of subsidies, loopholes, incentives and tax breaks to end up on par with most other exporting nations. In fact, the amount that US corporations pay in taxes, as a percentage of GDP, is actually lower than most other developed countries. Sure, the tax code is an unmitigated disaster, but hardly crippling for US companies.

Second, if American companies make high-quality products at reasonable prices, they can expect consumers around the world to want them. Other countries, likewise.

Third, if other countries took the same isolationist approach, it would have bad consequences for the American consumer and the American economy. I buy the best product my money can buy (lawn tractors notwithstanding:rolleyes:) - if the best product is not American, then the American manufacturers have only themselves to blame. That's the free market.

My parents owned Ford vehicles exclusively through the 70's and 80's. They were - every last one of them - complete pieces of junk. I own a newer Ford truck, which is an exponential improvement in quality over those old cars. I believe that, were it not for the competition of cheaper and higher-quality foreign cars, Ford Motor Company would still be cranking out pieces of junk.

The quality of Japanese cars is due largely to ideas from American W E Deming (as are Ford's latent improvements in quality). So why didn't Deming direct his efforts at improving American manufacturing? Because the American manufacturers didn't invite him - the Japanese manufacturers did.

Improve, adapt or die.

the Chinese just steal all the American ideas and duplicate them....

Maybe they're just getting even with the West for stealing so many of theirs - like the printing press :rolleyes:

Now that so many foreign countrys own such a large piece of the American pie, that isn't as true as it once was.

I agree - it's almost impossible to determine what's really "Made in the USA" anymore anyway. Partly because of foreign investments, but also because there is so much tax incentive for American companies to manufacture their parts overseas - creating jobs overseas.

I say - fix the tax code and let the free market do its thing.
Just my opinion :wink:

mystreba

Threads
Could not agree more with this. Most of the parts we use in our "American Made" cars come from mexico or some other foreign country that has no concerns about thier workers or thier environment. This is truly un-american activity.
UH-OH!
I think it's getting political in here:eek:
I'm done

Yes! American manufacturers are sourcing many of their parts from other countries. They want the cheapest parts in order to increase profits. Then they implore us to "Buy American" and load their television ads with misty-eyed patriotic nonsense.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can all do what is best for you, but for me, when I can find a quality product that is actually made in the USA and it does not cost a great deal more, I will support the company that has chosen to hire American workers and keep their business in this country. It is not always possible to find those products, but I do my best.

Each of you can do what works for you.