1958 Lawn-Boy Promo Video -- Lamar, MO

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found this video, posted by Lamar, MO.

It's about ten minutes long but I enjoyed it all. At about 4:50 they're talking about distribution and LB dealers and show a map of the USA with a bunch of dots (presumably the location of dealers). There are some dots in Georgia which seems odd since I never see any 1950s LBs here in GA. :confused2:

A little later in the video they mention that LB mowers have been getting lighter (and better in other ways) every year. I don't doubt that that was true in 1958 but what started happening in about the early 1980s is so sad: those fine machines got heavier and heavier and now they don't even have two-stroke engines. :mad:

Near the end of the video they show stacks of boxes containing 1958 Brick-Top Lawn-Boy mowers -- Oh to have one of those boxes in 2015. :cloud9:

jp1961

Threads
Awesome video for Lawn-Boy fanatics. I liked the 'home delivery' of a new mower, wonder if that would ever happen today,,,,NOT,,,lol.

Jeff

2smoked

Threads
That video just makes you wish that you could step into the picture and travel back in time. And if I could, I would grab one of those boxes too and take it with me, along with the pick-up truck.

Snapperfreak

Threads
That was some of the best 10 minutes I've ever spent on YouTube. Wow. I love the music, the old-timey narrators voice. I didn't realize lawnboy began in 1937! I have got to find an old bricktop. Just a basic old push model.

So here's my only personal experience with them. As a kid in the '80s our neighbor had a lawn business and had, among other things, an echo trimmer, a 21" snapper commercial 5hp briggs (like one in my avatar) and a bricktop lawnboy. Of course I was nuts about the snapper, and even in awe of the echo, but the lawnboy just looked weird to me. Now, 30 years later, i realize how unique, well-built and darn cool they are. Videos like that are a great link to the past. Here too they are very rare, I came across an ad on cl a few weeks ago from a guy with FOUR if them for sale, the bricktop was I believe $350. Probably worth it but didn't have the money so had to pass but that's the only time I can remember seeing one for sale...although I'm usually looking for snappers so I should expand my search! Great video, thanks!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
That was some of the best 10 minutes I've ever spent on YouTube. Wow. I love the music, the old-timey narrators voice. I didn't realize lawnboy began in 1937! I have got to find an old bricktop. Just a basic old push model.

So here's my only personal experience with them. As a kid in the '80s our neighbor had a lawn business and had, among other things, an echo trimmer, a 21" snapper commercial 5hp briggs (like one in my avatar) and a bricktop lawnboy. Of course I was nuts about the snapper, and even in awe of the echo, but the lawnboy just looked weird to me. Now, 30 years later, i realize how unique, well-built and darn cool they are. Videos like that are a great link to the past. Here too they are very rare, I came across an ad on cl a few weeks ago from a guy with FOUR if them for sale, the bricktop was I believe $350. Probably worth it but didn't have the money so had to pass but that's the only time I can remember seeing one for sale...although I'm usually looking for snappers so I should expand my search! Great video, thanks!

That sounds kind of high but LB prices vary a lot by region. The best thing I know to do is keep checking CL frequently and you'll get a good feel for what's a good deal.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Ok, I'll have to find a better deal! I really like the green but that older copper color from the video is really neat. I'll just see what presents itself and go from there.

bsmart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome video for Lawn-Boy fanatics. I liked the 'home delivery' of a new mower, wonder if that would ever happen today,,,,NOT,,,lol.

Jeff

Sure it would happen today - Just buy it on Amazon :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What I don't get and never will why are the women always wearing sandals or thongs, two types of footwear that should never bee within a country mile of a push mower.
Our local mower company did exactly the same even on the TV commercials the scantily clad woman ( for the period ) are always mowing with open toed footwear.

Oh and as for price, a Lawn Boy adjusted for inflation would be well over a grand so $350 is quite a reasonable price.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I don't get and never will why are the women always wearing sandals or thongs, two types of footwear that should never bee within a country mile of a push mower.
Our local mower company did exactly the same even on the TV commercials the scantily clad woman ( for the period ) are always mowing with open toed footwear.

Oh and as for price, a Lawn Boy adjusted for inflation would be well over a grand so $350 is quite a reasonable price.

I didn't notice the sandals. I'll have to watch it again. :laughing:

About the $350 for a brick-top Lawn-Boy in 2015 -- that may be a great price if it's in mint or near-mint condition but most of them that you find for sale have lots of issues -- missing parts, etc. And again, prices vary by region.

It's good to hear from you. Bought any vintage Victas lately?