Spark plugs

alanwagen

Threads
Anyone try the NGK V-power plugs? They have groove in the center electrode. Usually NGK has a good product.

I have tried the E3 Diamond plug on my old Honda and it seemed to work

Lrobby99

Threads
What can you say, except NGK makes good stuff. Try it. Let us know if you like it.

TLAR640

Threads
I have tried the V-Power and they work great. I use an NGK BPR5E-IX plug (iridium) in my HRX217HYA. Not sure if it makes any difference, but it makes me happy, so...

lewb

Threads
E3 Spark Plugs

I put one of these in my homelite trimmer because the auto parts store was out of the champion replacement, wow what a difference, I can just let it idle and do most of the trimming without any additional throttle, also starts much easier. Just my 2 cents.

alanwagen

Threads
My take on Iridium plugs is that they are not as efficient but they last much longer. I believe it take more voltage for the same spark.

TLAR640

Threads
My take on Iridium plugs is that they are not as efficient but they last much longer. I believe it take more voltage for the same spark.

A mower might be too low tech to utilize the benefits of iridium plugs. Kinda like $500 running shoes would not improve my run times! This excerpt from NGK's website under 'powersport applications' is what convinced me to give them a try.

* Platinum and Iridium are hard materials with very high melting points in comparison to nickel alloy. This enabled engineers to produce small center electrode tip diameters for improved ignitability. Nickel alloy is a softer material and has a lower melting point than platinum and iridium, requiring larger center electrode tip diameters. Required voltage to fire a nickel alloy spark plug is higher and ignitability isn't as good.

* Carbon fouling is a concern in both two-stroke and four-stroke applications. Smaller center electrode tip diameters require lower sparking voltage than nickel alloy spark plug designs. Gap erosion is much slower with platinum and iridium reducing the chance of misfiring.

The whole page: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/Precious_Metal _PlugsPowerSport.pdf

alanwagen

Threads
A mower might be too low tech to utilize the benefits of iridium plugs. Kinda like $500 running shoes would not improve my run times! This excerpt from NGK's website under 'powersport applications' is what convinced me to give them a try.

* Platinum and Iridium are hard materials with very high melting points in comparison to nickel alloy. This enabled engineers to produce small center electrode tip diameters for improved ignitability. Nickel alloy is a softer material and has a lower melting point than platinum and iridium, requiring larger center electrode tip diameters. Required voltage to fire a nickel alloy spark plug is higher and ignitability isn't as good.

* Carbon fouling is a concern in both two-stroke and four-stroke applications. Smaller center electrode tip diameters require lower sparking voltage than nickel alloy spark plug designs. Gap erosion is much slower with platinum and iridium reducing the chance of misfiring.

The whole page: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/Precious_Metal _PlugsPowerSport.pdf

Thanks for the education. I will upgrade to an iridium plug. Probably would never have to change it.

jp1961

Threads
FYI,,,Autolite also makes Iridium spark plugs for small engines. I have no fouling problems using them in my Lawn-Boy 2 cycle.

Jeff

Last edited:

alanwagen

Threads
Well I went to my local Autozone which happened to have a NGK BPR5EIX11 for $6.99. Carefully gapped it down to .30 and put it in the Honda and then .........

Explosion, mower blew up and cut off my left appendage. :laughing: Not really but it did crank up really fast and runs great. Thanks for the tip. The Iridium tip that is.