Most Dangerous Hand Tools

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wire wheels can be dangerous too. I was cleaning our oven racks while holding them in one hand and using the grinder with the other. I caught an edge with the wheel and rolled it into my hand. It healed pretty well. Sorry, no pics of the fresh wound, just the offending tool, my bandage progress and it mostly healed. Had that been a grinding wheel or cut-off tool I'm sure it would have been much worse. Lesson learned. Clamp it and 2 hands on the tool! I have to admit that I took the guard off my other grinder because it got in the way when i was trying to do something. I guess I should put it back on...

Attachments

• wirewheel1.jpg
    wirewheel1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 13
  • wirewheel2.jpg
    wirewheel2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • wirewheel3.jpg
    wirewheel3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 6
  • wirewheel4.jpg
    wirewheel4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 9

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ouch !!! I have removed the guards on my grinders also. Hmmmmm.

clusters4400

Threads
The worst tool that you can have is one that is used improperly. some of my blunders include:

1. Tearing apart of pallets with a claw hammer, swing, miss, black eye.
2. Carb cleaner in your eyes burns like h***.
3. (current) Lighting a stogie with a windproof lighter, when you forget you turn the flame up to the max, and that the flames come out the side, instead of up.
4. (recent) (not exactly tool related) a sheared flywheel key. received a powerful kick when it backfired in the cylinder and the starter rope hurt like the dickens.
5. the oldest and most memorable: cleaning out a deer lease, Mother had the chainsaw, had me push against a small tree to make it fall, it kicks out, and my tender teenage fingers hit the blade. that feeling...was unlike any other, then the top part of the tree fell and hit me on the noggin. I am lucky to have only walked away with a few scars.

So the true answer, Chainsaws, hands down. they are a bit bigger than a "hand tool" but they are most certainly dangerous, amplified by the operator.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've had carb cleaner in my eyes. Wooo weeee that's a horrible burning/stinging.

I have bad luck with flathead screwdrivers, everytime I use one I take out a chunk or 2 of skin.

And one time I did touch my thumb on a grinding wheel at full speed. ouch.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spraying the hinges & rollers on the garage door with aerosol lube & NO safety glasses on. But the glasses are right on my work bench.. Doh !!!