Most Dangerous Hand Tools

cashman

Threads
Using a tool to perform a task for which it was not intended for is a sure way to cause injury. (Screwdriver for a punch or chisel) I'm guilty of that many times. I've probably busted more knuckles using worn 12pt sockets on worn ratchets especially when using extentions.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Word on the street is : OSHA has compiled a list of EVERY tool that was discussed here, and by Monday, they will be BANNED and out of production IMMEDIATELY !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

primerbulb120

Threads
Word on the street is : OSHA has compiled a list of EVERY tool that was discussed here, and by Monday, they will be BANNED and out of production IMMEDIATELY !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

That would be a stupid thing to do. See, it's mostly the older, worn out tools that cause injuries (see Ron's post above.) If they were to do that, we wouldn't be able to buy new tools to replace our worn out ones. Instead, they should conduct a tool giveaway and let us swap our old tools for new ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We would still find ways to injure ourselves.
Brother in law did a stint with WorkSafe ( Local OH&S ).
Apparently over 70% of all MALE ladder accidents were from attempts to "bunny hop" a ladder into a new position while the bloke was on it.
The same proportion of FEMALE ladder accidents was due to the woman standing on her toes ans not with the instep on the rung, they call it the stilleto effect.
Men outnumber women 50:1 with ladder accidents.
And remember these are only the ones that require medical attention.

A friend runs a driving school.
He has a banner inside the waiting room that reads.
"No Such Thing as A Dangerous Car, JUST Cars Being Driven Dangerously "

To prove that he has cars with brakes that could be turned off, one wheel or all wheels, tyres that could be deflated , clutches that could be made inoperative and engines that would turn off or not turn off.
All this was controlled remotely by some switches hidden under what looked like a clipboard on a case so he could throw in some at random, like simulating a flat while the student was braking heavily.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cross cut hand saw.

I knew an old carpenter who was missing two fingers on his left hand, lost in two separate incidents with the saw.

erkand

Forum Newbie
Threads
all the tools are dangerous in a day when you are careless. but the hammer is dangerous in every situation:).

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
We would still find ways to injure ourselves.
Brother in law did a stint with WorkSafe ( Local OH&S ).
Apparently over 70% of all MALE ladder accidents were from attempts to "bunny hop" a ladder into a new position while the bloke was on it.
The same proportion of FEMALE ladder accidents was due to the woman standing on her toes ans not with the instep on the rung, they call it the stilleto effect.
Men outnumber women 50:1 with ladder accidents.
And remember these are only the ones that require medical attention.

A friend runs a driving school.
He has a banner inside the waiting room that reads.
"No Such Thing as A Dangerous Car, JUST Cars Being Driven Dangerously "

To prove that he has cars with brakes that could be turned off, one wheel or all wheels, tyres that could be deflated , clutches that could be made inoperative and engines that would turn off or not turn off.
All this was controlled remotely by some switches hidden under what looked like a clipboard on a case so he could throw in some at random, like simulating a flat while the student was braking heavily.
I guess he never drove a Yugo DL

Luffydog

Threads
Seen a die grinder break a blade a go Thur a mans jaw. Wasn't pretty other parts stuck in a mans hand and some stuck in a metal ceiling. It's on my higher list of danger.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seen a die grinder break a blade a go Thur a mans jaw. Wasn't pretty other parts stuck in a mans hand and some stuck in a metal ceiling. It's on my higher list of danger.

Haven't ever seen a die-grinder ever use a blade ? grinding stones & bits etc.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Haven't ever seen a die-grinder ever use a blade ? grinding stones & bits etc.

I have. Auto body and boat work, that kind of stuff. 3 inch cut-off wheels.