Taking A Long Time To Start

cuckoochris

Threads
Hello, I have a Snapper 33" LT140HBBV with a B&S 14hp model#287707. Problem is the mower is taking a very long time to start, I have to crank it for 20+ seconds. When it catches it will make a few loud bangs and put out a big puff of smoke. Once it is running it sounds fine and will start immediately once it is warmed up. I did adjust the valves over the weekend but it didn't seem to help, it actually seems to take a little longer now. I thought maybe it was a choke problem so I watched the levers as I moved the throttle up and it is hitting the choke. I didn't verify that it was moving at the carb though. Not sure what to try next, any suggestions? Also, I verified the fuel filter is good.

Thanks,
Chris

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start by making sure the choke is closing all the way on the engine.

cuckoochris

Threads
I checked it after I posted earlier. It does appear to be closing all of the way.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This could be a fun one to track down. My thoughts are going about 10 different directions with this one. Let start by confirming fresh fuel, and that you have spark under compression. That will require an inline spark tester that connects between the plug wire and the plug. Also when was the last time the plug was changed. May not hurt to try a different spark plug.

From there I am thinking compression issues, which could include head gasket or valve issues. Another thought is the carb is leaking into the intake, but not with a large volume like most that contaminate the oil but just enough to cause a flooding issue. May try starting without using the choke initially. maybe after cranking a few seconds remove the spark plug and see if it is wet.

Let me know what you find. Any other information that you can provide like what color the smoke is at start up may help narrow things down somewhat.

cuckoochris

Threads
Great, thanks so much for the info! What color would the smoke be if it was flooding? I think that may be what's happening; when it starts, it spits out of the muffler for a second. Also noticed today while I was checking the air cleaner, there was a puddle of gas in the bottom of the tube that goes into the carb.

I'll try a new plug also, should have done that already. Put a new one in last year but maybe it's worn out already.

Thanks,
Chris

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are getting gas puddles in the carb,then that confirms that the carb is leaking. Make sure to check the oil level, and to smell it for gas contamination. Flooding would create black smoke. But you could be getting blue smoke at startup if the gas isn't really flooding, but is washing down the cylinder walls of oil

Tinkerer200

Threads
I suggest turning the gas off a few seconds before stopping the engine and see what happens. NO shutoff valve? Pinch the gas line with Vise Grips. IF this helps, add an inline shutoff valve and use it when the engine is shut off. A shutoff valve is good insurance anyway.

Walt Conner

cuckoochris

Threads
OK, we're getting somewhere! I went out this morning and pulled the plug, it seemed a little wet. I put it back in and started it up, as usual, a couple bangs and a big cloud of smoke, I would say between white and blue smoke. Shut it off after about 20 seconds when it settled down and clamped the fuel line. Pulled the plug out and went out and bought a new plug, oil and shut off. This afternoon I changed the oil, it smelled like there may have been gas in it but not really sure, put in the new plug and installed the shut off valve. Next I turned the gas on and started cranking, after a second or two I hit the choke (forgot to do it first) and it started right up, no banging and no smoke!! I realized after I started it that I made two changes so I couldn't be positive which one worked, but I can leave the gas on next time to verify it. To me, the flooding carb makes the most sense. If that's the case, do I rebuild the carb? or just remember to use the shut off? Thanks for the help!!

Chris

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Using the shut off valve is fine, but go ahead and fix the carb leak.

HarryHarley

Threads
For now, just use the shut off. Let it run out of fuel.
Just before you start it next time.... remember to open the fuel line.