Echo SRM-225 problem

theodore2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi.
model = SRM-225
SN = S039126662268

From the parts diagram (attached image), the choke lever (which is an integral part of #6 "Case Assy, Air Filter") gets stuck on #5 ("Plate, Prevent"), whenever I tighten the two torx bolts. This getting stuck issue happened spontaneously, as far as I can tell. I never opened/cleaned this before. That said, I certainly opened now and there was nothing out of place. It was all very clean. Nothing broken or deteriorated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

intake.jpg

(Account Closed)

Threads
Hi.
model = SRM-225
SN = S039126662268

From the parts diagram (attached image), the choke lever (which is an integral part of #6 "Case Assy, Air Filter") gets stuck on #5 ("Plate, Prevent"), whenever I tighten the two torx bolts. This getting stuck issue happened spontaneously, as far as I can tell. I never opened/cleaned this before. That said, I certainly opened now and there was nothing out of place. It was all very clean. Nothing broken or deteriorated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 42124

I literally have a spare, brand new, part #6, in my hand as I type (exact same part #).

As the actual choke "flap" and lever are both recessed (each side) in part #6 it should not bind on anything.

The only thing that could be the issue is part #5 installed, facing "inwards", up against the choke flap.

Can you confirm that part #5 "sticks outwards"?

The only potential thing, can be the actual lever(near the carb). Is that touching the carb at all? It should not.

If none of the above pans out, remove the carb bolts and place #6 up against the carb. Check for any binding, there should be none. Again, if that clears everything, put part #5 up against #6 (just by hand), FACING OUTWARD. If part#5 IS INWARD, IT WILL BIND up..

I'm assuming part #5 is NOT bent inwards.

My customer goes thru these often and within a month I had to replace one (lever broke off). I bought an extra for later use.

I hadn't seen a broken part #6 however, inspect closely as something (if all the above pans out) is broke in part #6 or bent in #5. Worst case scenario, replace both as their fairly cheap and easy to install.

theodore2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I literally have a spare, brand new, part #6, in my hand as I type (exact same part #).

As the actual choke "flap" and lever are both recessed (each side) in part #6 it should not bind on anything.
The only thing that could be the issue is part #5 installed, facing "inwards", up against the choke flap.

Hi! I've made a short video to show the problem I'm having with this part. Please take a look and tell me if anything looks wrong?
Many thanks!

(Account Closed)

Threads

Hi! I've made a short video to show the problem I'm having with this part. Please take a look and tell me if anything looks wrong?
Many thanks!

Pic's are worth a thousand words!! Video, even more!!

Just what I thought.

Flip that metal piece (with the two long bolts) OVER, then it'll clear. The "concave" should be facing outwards.

In post #10, (the picture I posted), place part #5 as it is in the diagram.

As it IS, the air cleaner likely wouldn't bolt up as the nut (on the metal piece) is INWARDS, NOT outwards.
Flip it over and everything will assemble correctly..

***Make sure the carb to block gasket is installed correctly. That gasket is very easy to slip downwards and cause a vacuum leak..**

Please post back before taking off trimming!

Last edited:
Threads
Pic's are worth a thousand words!! Video, even more!!

Just what I thought.

Flip that metal piece (with the two long bolts) OVER, then it'll clear. The "concave" should be facing outwards.

In post #10, (the picture I posted), place part #5 as it is in the diagram.

As it IS, the air cleaner likely wouldn't bolt up as the nut (on the metal piece) is INWARDS, NOT outwards.
Flip it over and everything will assemble correctly..

***Make sure the carb to block gasket is installed correctly. That gasket is very easy to slip downwards and cause a vacuum leak..**

Please post back before taking off trimming!

I would rather a video myself as long as it's a well made one like this one....... Man we are flooding over here..... The Bayou near my house is at flood stages and roads are closing every where,,,,,, If school wouldn't be out for the holidays they would be shut down as well......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

(Account Closed)

Threads
I would rather a video myself as long as it's a well made one like this one....... Man we are flooding over here..... The Bayou near my house is at flood stages and roads are closing every where,,,,,, If school wouldn't be out for the holidays they would be shut down as well......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

In this case, either / or was fine, simple fix anyway..

It's dry season down here, we'll take some of your water!

theodore2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks.
So, I turned it around, but still doesn't work when i tighten the torx bolts. And, of course, they need to be tight.
Here's a video.
https://youtu.be/TmaoeTilfSE

I also got on live chat with Echo on Friday. They said:
Echo: The prevent plate should be flat. It looks like yours is bent.
Me: Is the prevent plate assembled in the appropriate direction and orientation?
Echo: Yes.
Echo: Yours has a curve to it. If you would like, I can email you a picture of what the plate should look like.​

And they sent this photo:
http://echo-usa.custhelp.com/ci/inlineImage/get/20165/05407364fcc49cc4b70a5ec3a6801272

If Echo is right, it is a crazy mystery on how mine got to be so bent/curved. I've ordered a new one and will install when it gets here.
As usual, any input/advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Very odd...

But yes, the new one is flat and should clear the choke lever/plate...