Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation

pappabear

Threads
  • / Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation
Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation

Howdy from Virginia folks. A neighbor brought me his OLDER Honda Harmony HRM215HXA complaining of a constant low rpm with no ability to increase rpm with throttle control. It is powered by the GXV-140 (serial- GJAB-413285).

After going through all the maintenance PMs and control plate adjustments I noticed the governor lever was not opening the throttle butterfly WOT to increase the engine rpm in FAST throttle control position, just as blessed neighbor described. I removed the governor lever and noticed the governor rod could be pushed into the engine case and rotated into a new position. The governor rod has a flat at the exterior end. The "as found" position had the governor rod flat aligned horizontally. The window of rotation was restricted to only a few degrees rotation (5-10 maybe?).

For grins and giggles, I pushed the governor rod into the housing a bit and rotated it CCW into a seemingly alternate position within the crankcase. The window of rotation in this "new position" gave me a 90 degree range of rotation from 270 degrees CW to 360 degrees. Not having Superman vision and not being able to see through the aluminum housing I'm flying blind on getting the governor rod properly positioned.

Thus my questions, what is the proper alignment relative to the governor rod/shaft "flat" and what range of rotation can I expect to see? I'm trying to do the governor shaft adjustment so I can get to setting the high end rpm.

Thanks!

ADDITIONAL EDIT INFO: OK I looked up the governor arm shaft 16541-ZE7-000. The "paddle" feature is perpendicular to the flat.
So... in order to depress the governor slider down (not running), the flat on the governor shaft should logically be horizontal, then when running-rotate counterclockwise. So the next bit of info I need to understand is how the slider's travel distance translates into degrees CCW rotation.

Last edited:

pappabear

Threads
  • / Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation
Re: Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation

Thanks Mark for that link. I previously followed one of your threads and downloaded 2F31ZG9642.pdf
It helped enormously. I set the valve clearance and found the needed torque values as well.
The neighbor picked up the mower this afternoon. I got the throttle to function somewhat however I think the governor arm spring needs to be beefed up.
I think my problem lies not in the engine now (I tuned it pretty thoroughly) but in the blade clutch mechanism. I think the cable is stretched a bit. I loosened it and it helped a bit with the engine loading however it's not perfect yet. I was going to remove the blades, disassemble the clutch, clean and reassemble it to see if there was something dirty and worn messing up the function.

Anyway, now I can get back to the Snapper project I'm restoring.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Governor Rod, normal "Flatted shaft" orientation, normal degrees of rotation

Thanks Mark for that link. I previously followed one of your threads and downloaded 2F31ZG9642.pdf
It helped enormously. I set the valve clearance and found the needed torque values as well.
The neighbor picked up the mower this afternoon. I got the throttle to function somewhat however I think the governor arm spring needs to be beefed up.
I think my problem lies not in the engine now (I tuned it pretty thoroughly) but in the blade clutch mechanism. I think the cable is stretched a bit. I loosened it and it helped a bit with the engine loading however it's not perfect yet. I was going to remove the blades, disassemble the clutch, clean and reassemble it to see if there was something dirty and worn messing up the function.

Anyway, now I can get back to the Snapper project I'm restoring.
Good deal, you may need to replace clutch disc.

pappabear

Threads

Roger That! I told neighbor that we may need a new cable if the old one stretched. The spring on the lever mechanism is pretty heavy and if the cable grew in length it cannot be working optimally. I wanted to see the clutch mechanism parts but only got as far as penetrating oil on the blade bolts before my neighbor showed up to take the mower away. Limited victory. better than none...