Starter Cord

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The starter cord finally gave out on my walk behind and I would like to get a replacement. Last time I replaced one, I was surprised at what I wound up with (no Pun intended)..... the replacement was really cheap.
Anyway.... I have a briggs mower and I need enough cord to go through the eyelet on the push handle so my Girl can start it too.
Can any body hook me up with some part numbers or a supplier..... amazon link would be great.
I found this one, and it looks to the strong enough, but I don't know if it's long enough.
Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 697316 Starter Rope Replacement for Models 692259 and 281464 : Lawn And Garden Tool Replacement Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks a lot for any insight you can provide.
It's summer here. and I need that thing operational by next weekend.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't find the dimensions but it appears to fit about all the push mower engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You did not post your engine number but most go 40"to 70" depending upon weather you want the pull handle at the mower or the pull handle near the handlebars.

make a knot in one end of the rope
Remove the pull start and old rope.
Wind the pulley till the spring is fully bound then allow it to unwind 1 full turn + enough for the cover hole to line up with the pulley hole.
Feed the rope through the pulley and cover and pull it tight .
Now let the spring unwind and feed in the rope.
When the spring stops, pull the rope out 1/2 to 1/4 turn and fix the handle.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Much thanks to the Aussie for that excellent instruction.
The cord arrived a few moments ago and it is 7'-4" long, or 88", or 2.35 meters, or 2,235.2 millimeters, or 223.52 centimeters.
It looks to be of superior quality. it is a genuine Briggs part
It seems like it will be plenty long enough, I will let you know. If it's not long enough to go through the handle. I will have enough for 2 replacements that pull from the motor....maybe.

Thanks to the 2 folks that chimed in. I was very surprised that there were not more responses. lots of pull starters out there.
I'm guessing most mowers are replaced before the cord expires. I kept my last one for over ten years, then sold it, and as far as I know, it's still in use.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a lot of customers bring me the starters off their mowers to have the rope replaced. I buy rope in 250 foot rolls.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much thanks to the Aussie for that excellent instruction.
The cord arrived a few moments ago and it is 7'-4" long, or 88", or 2.35 meters, or 2,235.2 millimeters, or 223.52 centimeters.
It looks to be of superior quality. it is a genuine Briggs part
It seems like it will be plenty long enough, I will let you know. If it's not long enough to go through the handle. I will have enough for 2 replacements that pull from the motor....maybe.

Thanks to the 2 folks that chimed in. I was very surprised that there were not more responses. lots of pull starters out there.
I'm guessing most mowers are replaced before the cord expires. I kept my last one for over ten years, then sold it, and as far as I know, it's still in use.

One of the nice things about this forum is the lack of "me too" posters.
If one person has answered something well enough very few others ( myself included ) will chime in.
Saves a lot of reading.

Most repairers buy the cord in long rolls then do as I instructed you but feed the rope in from the outside then cut it off to fit the particular machine.
Mowing contractors usually either keep a few smaller rolls or precut a couple for the gear they have.
Backyard parts retailers cut the rope to length and sell it on evilbay for 5 - 10 times the cost price.
There are very few back yard parts retailers on this list.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Installed the new cord through the handle as it was originally.
Works great.
I also had a problem with the lever that controls the engine brake and spark plug ground. The cable had stretched and was allowing the linkage to ground the plug.
I decided to disconnect the ground wire from the linkage and install a separate switch mounted to the push handle for killing the engine.
Never liked the lever deal anyway and it was always clamped down.
It might not be as safe as it was when it was new but....hey that's, how it's going to stay.