Hustler Seized

outlaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
My father in law has a Hustler Mini Z with the Kawasaki motor. Yesterday while mowing the engine started smoking and making a horrible banging noise. I shut the mower down and upon checking the engine oil discovered it very low, and very nasty. I replaced the engine oil and put on a new oil filter and it ran fine after that. That is until today. I mowed around the property for about an hour today and then noticed a burning smell. I shut down the blades and looked at the engine and it was smoking a little. The oil filter was extremely hot and when it took the dipstick out of the oil reservoir smoke came from inside. I let it sit for an hour and went back to try it again. This time the motor is locked up! All it does is make a single "clank" when trying to start. I have no idea what to do now. Any help is much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes sounds you got it right,
Sounds like engine is seized and will require a strip down.
However just check there is nothing under the mower wrapped around the shaft.
Then pull off the flywheel and check nothing is jambed in there.
Both long shots but worthwhile and you will have to do it in any case.
Oil should run around 100 deg C so after running you should not be able to hold the oil filter.
There is hot and there is HOT

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
What oil & filter did you use when you changed oil? Name brand? Post all numbers from Kawasaki engine data plate, thanks. What does air filter look like? covered in dirt?

Suggestion, if Kawasaki engine, use Kawasaki filters, similar with oil, use high quality oil recommended in engine manual, proper weight & grade. This is why your Kawasaki engine failed, time for new engine. As far as air filter goes, in the future replace at least once yearly with Kawasaki OEM filter. Engines need fresh air in order to operate properly.

Last edited:

outlaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
What oil & filter did you use when you changed oil? Name brand? Post all numbers from Kawasaki engine data plate, thanks. What does air filter look like? covered in dirt?

I used a Fram oil filter and Carquest SAE-30 oil from Advance Auto Parts. I do not have the data from the Kawasaki engine right now, can post that in the morning. The air filter is clean, my father in law blew it out with the air compressor yesterday. If the engine is seized up, is there anything we can do ourselves to fix it ourselves or will it have to be done by a mechanic?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This could turn into a time to replace the engine or the mower very easily

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some times you get lucky and it is just the crank siezed in the top bush,
If the piston has siezed on the bore it is an uneconomic repair.
You can repair it but the price of a pair of pistons, two rebores, gaskets & a rod generally is around 1/3 the price of a new engine.
A crank is 1/2 the price & crank grinding / cylinder honeing push the price one that of a new engine.
OTOH if youhave a few mates with the right gear & a good supply of beer it can be worthwhile

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get your self a service manual and go for it. It will be good experience. You might need machine shop work but who knows with out looking??? I don't know what you have for tools and equipment to do that type of work but you can get this from a HF for good prices if you need something.