Hustler Raptor SD Hysraulic Oil

Doug44

Threads
This is what I did I removed the deck to get into it from the front.

Was it necessary to remove the deck ? I ask the dealer when I purchase my Raptor last month about removing the deck , he suggested on zero turn mowers if it's not necessary not to remove it .

Please read my post again your question is answered there.

Kremeneon

Threads
So I changed my hydraulic fluid this weekend.

All was going well until I got to those socket head fill plugs, WHAT A PITA! They are in about the most difficult to access area of the mower.

So I found a better way...

Vacuum fill the hydros. I have a hand pumped vacuum/suction device for extracting oil and transmission fluids on cars. it uses a hand piston pump to remove air from a plastic container, to which a suction hose is attached. The pump and check valve can be removed from the container for cleaning. it turns out the pump just barely fits over and covers the opening in the hydraulic reservoir on the RSD.

So with the hydros empty and new filters in place I filled the reservoir up about 3/4 of the way and sat my pump on top, gave it a few pumps and saw a lot of air gurgle up from the transmissions through the fluid. I removed the pump and within a couple seconds the reservoir was empty, all fluid having been drawn into the hydros. I repeated this until they were full. It took maybe 10 minutes total.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

All was going well until I got to those socket head fill plugs, WHAT A PITA! They are in about the most difficult to access area of the mower.

Vacuum fill the hydros. I have a hand pumped vacuum/suction device for extracting oil and transmission fluids on cars. it uses a hand piston pump to remove air from a plastic container, to which a suction hose is attached. The pump and check valve can be removed from the container for cleaning. it turns out the pump just barely fits over and covers the opening in the hydraulic reservoir on the RSD.

So with the hydros empty and new filters in place I filled the reservoir up about 3/4 of the way and sat my pump on top, gave it a few pumps and saw a lot of air gurgle up from the transmissions through the fluid. I removed the pump and within a couple seconds the reservoir was empty, all fluid having been drawn into the hydros. I repeated this until they were full. It took maybe 10 minutes total.

OOOh I like that.
Another rolled gold tip to keep in the warchest.:thumbsup:

Doug44

Threads

The socket head fill plugs you speak of are not fill plugs, but air plugs. You fill in the resivor tank under the seat.

Kremeneon

Threads
The socket head fill plugs you speak of are not fill plugs, but air plugs. You fill in the resivor tank under the seat.
Yes, fill/vent/port, the bit the big arrow here is pointing to:
ZT2800fill.jpg

Bigmks

Threads

where can I find something like this to purchase?

Bigmks

Threads
This is the device I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU

a mightyvac type device would work, or even my shop-vac if I could adapt it to seal off well enough to the filler to pull some air out.

I have a few questions. First of all to drain the hydraulic fluid you would need to loosen each hydro filter and let the oil drain completely out correct? The drain plug you are referring to is just the plug to allow air so that the oil can flow back through to the hydros? After fluid has drain, replace filters and add oil into the reservior under the seat? Aother question when would you use the hydro oil extractor?

Bigmks

Threads
I have a few questions. First of all to drain the hydraulic fluid you would need to loosen each hydro filter and let the oil drain completely out correct? The drain plug you are referring to is just the plug to allow air so that the oil can flow back through to the hydros? After fluid has drain, replace filters and add oil into the reservior under the seat? Aother question when would you use the hydro oil extractor?

Or can I use the extractor and place it under the seat and use it to suck fluids out of hydraulic reservoir? I've never used. I've seen a few examples of YouTube with and oil extractor.

L454S

Threads
Draining the pumps is not a problem since the filters are changed too and that's where the oil drains out, what is the pump going to do? Filling is done through the reservoir, all you need to do is crack loose the plugs you show so the unit can vent air out as the fluid fills the pump. It ain't rocket science.