Unmount wire bead tire from Snapper

cuengineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to unmount a rear tire from my Snapper rear engine rider. Got bead loose easily but cannot get it to stretch any to get it over the lip of the rim. It has a small steel cable inside the bead. The replacement tire does not have this and I have never encountered this before. Is there a trick to get the tire off or what? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Never encountered this before so pretty frustrating.

rarebear

Threads
I just change all four of my tires...
I tried screwdrivers and pry bars...
You can remove and install them with out any tools eaiser..

You need both beads loose..
If you have some soapy water it may help to wet the beads and rim..

Get both sides of the tire beads pinched together and get them in the center of the rim where the rim is the smallest diameter..
Then pull up on the opposite side of the tire, one side at a time.. Large screwdriver may help.

Install the same way..
I did this on the ground and used my shoes to push tire on..

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that fails, get the hacksaw out.. :laughing:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know how big your tire is. I have used a big bench vise to create a holding fixture by locking down a big bolt to locate the wheel while removing . The above advise is right on. You must locate the loose inner ID (beads) in the narrowest part of the wheel while forcing over opposite rim. Then you can remove by hand. Otherewise a fruitless struggle. To inflate use a strap or even rope around the tread and pull tight until tire "pooches" out so the beads are nearer the wheel seating areas while shooting in air. Guaranteed to raise a sweat.:laughing:

Edit: H Frt has a cheap tire fixture that gets good reviews. Never used it, but considered it.

rarebear

Threads
Oh Yeah,
I used a rope with a loop at one end and put the end through it and pulled it tight to expand the side walls to get air into the new tire..

Amazon had the best prices on tires I could find "Carlisle Turf Saver Lawn & Garden Tire" .. I went with larger rear tires of 18X8.50-8 and front 11X4-4 but needed to add a few washers under king pins to get wheels to clear underside of foot rests..

Now I can lower my deck all the way without it dragging on the ground..

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trying to unmount a rear tire from my Snapper rear engine rider. Got bead loose easily but cannot get it to stretch any to get it over the lip of the rim. It has a small steel cable inside the bead. The replacement tire does not have this and I have never encountered this before. Is there a trick to get the tire off or what? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Never encountered this before so pretty frustrating.

Don't know what your tire changing career is like? What you need to do at this point is put the opposite side of the bead into the center of the wheel where it is at its deepest point and then you should be able to get the bead over the lip of the rim.