Turned on side - flooded with oil

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new 19.5 HP B & S single cylinder engine on a Craftsman mower. I turned it on its side to re-install the transmission drive belt, not thinking of the consequences. Now the engine is so flooded with oil it will not start and continually fouls the spark plug. It will ALMOST start, but not quite. How can I get the oil out so the engine will run? I've been cranking the engine without the plug and trying it with the plug, but still no start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull off the carb, clan & drain it.
Good chance the manifold will have a lot of oil in it as well . Ditto for the air cleaner.
Without the air cleaner installed try to start by squirting some starting fluid down the carb, when the engine seems like it is about to die give it amother little squirt, carry on till the engine will run by itself.
DO this outside and preferably after dark as it will blow a lot of smoke so watch wind directions and neighbours washing.

DaveTN

Threads
I try squirting some carb cleaner, or gasoline in a spray bottle into the cylinder
and be sure the spark plug is out of the way so it won't accidentally create a
flame thrower! Cranking it over several times, after squirting cleaner etc. in it.
A couple of times will usually clear out the oil. Check and clean the carb again
and clean the spark plug and dry it. Check the valve cover for excess oil as well.
It should fire up ok, but expect LOTS of ~~~SMOKE~~~ :confused2: