Craftsman Zero Turn Lawn Tractor

Basstracker94

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sears.com

Has anyone had any experience with with lawn tractor. Its a Craftsman 42" 22hp V-Twin Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower. Thoughts?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sears.com

Has anyone had any experience with with lawn tractor. Its a Craftsman 42" 22hp V-Twin Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower. Thoughts?

What is your lawn size? It is a low end residential ztr mower. Personally I would rather purchase a hustler raptor.

SkipD

Threads
Sears.com

I just bought one. It's a 42" Z6000 22 HP Briggs. I have cut my 3/4 acre yard twice with it now.. I like it, runs and cuts great.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

Toro has a great reputation with good dealer support, and make some quality commercial mowers. The time cutter is at the bottom of their line, but should be fine for someone mowing an acre or less. I wouldn't want a low end ztr mower if I had to mow much over an acre, or if the terrain was rough, or if there was much of a slope. A ztr mower like that won't last many years under those conditions. Would be fine for most suburban lawns though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got 11 of these in my service run as a local shop did a "deal' on them last year.
To me they appear to be identical to a JD 225 but 2" shorter and all Unified threads against the JD all metric.
The deck is the same as Husqvarna has been using for many years and is good enough for domestic use.
Just make sure you keep the top clean as they rust out due to the deep well ( I put drain holes in some of them )
Drives work well enough but I have never been able to get a single one of them to steer strait.
Not a real problem as you will get used to it but can be tricky particularly as the worst inconsistency is in reverse.
If the drive strait foreward they circle in reverse and visa versa.
Now these could have been defective machines bought cheap then resold.
All have given the owners problems but then again all are being used on acreage and nothing here is flat or level.
all were supplied with the drives & decks way out of adjustment ( dealer problem ? ).
The build seems good enough so I would call them reasonable value for money

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got 11 of these in my service run as a local shop did a "deal' on them last year.
To me they appear to be identical to a JD 225 but 2" shorter and all Unified threads against the JD all metric.
The deck is the same as Husqvarna has been using for many years and is good enough for domestic use.
Just make sure you keep the top clean as they rust out due to the deep well ( I put drain holes in some of them )
Drives work well enough but I have never been able to get a single one of them to steer strait.
Not a real problem as you will get used to it but can be tricky particularly as the worst inconsistency is in reverse.
If the drive strait foreward they circle in reverse and visa versa.
Now these could have been defective machines bought cheap then resold.
All have given the owners problems but then again all are being used on acreage and nothing here is flat or level.
all were supplied with the drives & decks way out of adjustment ( dealer problem ? ).
The build seems good enough so I would call them reasonable value for money

Which mowers are you talking about, the craftsman or the timecutter?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which mowers are you talking about, the craftsman or the timecutter?

The Craftsman.

The Toro's are a class above and priced accordingly.
Only real problem with the small Toros is the deck hanger
The deck tends to slip across to the left side then the hanger fouls on the deck rail as you try to lift it.
After a time this causes the hanger to come loose or the deck to drop on the left hand side.
Most of the toros I have worked on have an adjustment for both foreward & reverse so you can get them to steer better then they are a more expensive machine.
We come back to that Magic Pudding again.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Craftsman.

The Toro's are a class above and priced accordingly.
Only real problem with the small Toros is the deck hanger
The deck tends to slip across to the left side then the hanger fouls on the deck rail as you try to lift it.
After a time this causes the hanger to come loose or the deck to drop on the left hand side.
Most of the toros I have worked on have an adjustment for both foreward & reverse so you can get them to steer better then they are a more expensive machine.
We come back to that Magic Pudding again.

Good info.

Jack17

Threads
Correct me if I'm wrong but, Toro's single cylinder engine rated at 16HP is not going to make a good "mulcher" if mulching kit were to be installed on it. Craftsman's big V-twin shouldn't have any problems with mulching...I suppose?