Mower "whooping" sounds???

cmw

Threads
My dad purchased some used Lawn Boy mower that was a pile of junk when I was a kid. I remember the thing nickel and diming him to death and he seemed to keep it out of stubbornness because everyone kept saying how bad it was.

It did a couple strange things. Sometimes it would make a "whooping" noise as it ran. I don't know if there was something up with the reed valves but figured that might have been the issue as it was kinda a whistling sound. It was usually at lower RPMs that you noticed this. I just remember laughing about this. This was one of those mowers where getting the mower to run took longer than the mowing. It was just an old mower and seemed worn out. One day he was mowing and it went out in a blaze of glory with a nice loud pop and fireball. A piece of the connecting rod had shot through the side of the engine and its mowing and "whooping" days were over which was probably a good thing for everyone involved.

What would have caused the "whooping" noise as I have never heard this before or since?