Repairs LT2138 Low oil indicator light comes on for 8 seconds on startup, then goes out?

mechatgsk

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LT2138 Low oil indicator light comes on for 8 seconds on startup, then goes out?
Hi, I have a 2004 LT2138 cub cadet mower. The mower has 517 hours on hour meter. The engine is the 16 hp kohler. The low oil indicator light comes on at startup and remains on for 8 seconds then goes out. This is with engine at low idle. Now after that it does not come back on, even after fast throttle mowing and returning engine to idle. I did replace the oil pressure switch thinking it may be a defective switch. Problem still exist. I did a service over the winter which included an oil and filter change. I used a kohler oil filter and kohler 10w-30 motor oil. Any help would greatly be appreciated. :confused2:

mechatgsk

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / LT2138 Low oil indicator light comes on for 8 seconds on startup, then goes out?
mech, So...is the oil level really correct at the 8 second warning? Post us a picture of the oil switch . Is it a "float" type" and how is it inserted? Any instructions with the switch as to orientation, etc? Why did you replace it? Tractor on level when warning ? Check grounds if other than plug to block. Check connections at gauge. Is charging system/bat ok?

mechatgsk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, oil level is at full mark of the dip stick on a level garage floor. As I stated in my post I replaced the switch because I thought it may be defective. It is sometimes called a oil sending unit. It is a normally closed type switch. It will open with increasing pressure and close with decreasing pressure within a range of 3.0 to 5.0 psi.

mechatgsk

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mech, It sounds like an oil pressure light, not oil level, which I found is actually not so common except on Hondas. I will comment based upon many years of viewing and using oil pressure swithches on autos and the one on my Intek. The light style (aka known as an idiot light-- which it is not) will flicker just at 10-12 psi which is normal pressure at idle. I have run cars with the actual gauge and red warning light still intact. As long as the light goes off above idle all should be well assuming the 35-40 psi is reached. What is importand is that they do not turn on above idle. They have a turn- on point of about 12-15 psi. Hot oil will cause the light to light a little sooner due to reduced oil pressure. I am surprised the owners manual did not explain this. I do believe oil level warning is really important on the AC engines, but don't see discussions here about them. If you get an oil pressure gauge it can help detect lower oil level once you get used to it . The slight drop in pressure should prompt checking oil level. IMO