Why does my new mower leave streaks in the lawn??

iqraceworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why does my new mower leave streaks in the lawn??
I'm hoping someone has seen this problem before, and knows the fix. I'm a pretty mechanically minded guy......and I've tried everything I can think of, but still can't fix the problem.

For some reason, I keep getting streaks of tall grass left behind from my new riding mower. I've leveled the deck/blades, made sure the tire pressure was equal on all of the tires, and even put a brand new set of carbide edged Gator Blades on the thing...and I still can't seem to get rid of the streaks. I usually mow on the highest setting the mower has....3.5". I mow once a week....and take off around 2"-3" every time I mow....my yard seems to grown crazy fast.

I've tried going faster, going slower...I've tried bumping the governor screw in to give the engine a little more RPMS.......nothing seems to help. The only thing that will get rid of the streaks is if I go over the same spot twice.....then it's nice and flat. But I don't want to have to mow my 1.5 acres twice every time.....once is bad enough.

I have a really old 16hp Murray with a 46" deck that mows great....nice and flat, and no streaks. So why does my new Husky with a 24hp Kohler and 48" deck mow so crappy an uneven?? The Murray actually seems like it has more power.....where as the Husky with the bigger motor seems to bog down all the time. I've got about 50hrs on the thing...and it's mowed pretty crappy since day one.

Any ideas??

IMG_0284_zpsqcp5kci7.jpg

IMG_0280_zpsjd4dyoi4.jpg

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't by chance have blades upside down do you?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either the deck is overwhelmed with grass and can't discharge it fast enough. Another possible cause is there is a baffle under the deck that is riding the grass down, and then the blade can't pick it back up fast enough to cut it clean.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your grass looks so limber that the wheels seem to just push it over and it does not spring back up.

It must really grow fast!

Very tall grass does not mow well...it just gets pushed over.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, you leveled the deck, but did you check to make sure you have frontward slope between 1/16" to 5/16" on the deck. If you have NO Slope, you have the entire blades in the cut, which can extra load on the machine. Messing with the govenor is asking for trouble.

Also do you mow in different directions ?

Finally: do you clean out the deck after use, cutting 3" off at one cut can accumulate underneath, causing a bad cut as well.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 1984 Murry that mowed better than a new John Deere. Then I looked at the two to determine the difference. AH HA, deere has baffels and Murray doesn't. Now JD doesn't have baffels, mows better and is 10 x easier to clean.

This 3 way BS is from manufacturers attempting to make a rider that will side discharge, mulch or bag all in one. Does none very well.

Jack17

Threads
Are you sure that them Gator blades are of the correct size? Looks to be a little too short for the size of the deck.

bigd40

Forum Newbie
Threads
with the belt off turn the blades so that the edges are at the closest point to each other. th gap needs to be no more than 1/8". less is good. also rotate next side of blade looking for one side possibly bent.

WebsterLawnCare

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are your blades upside down or not level?

MowerMark

Threads
Mohawking

My lawnmower "mohawks" also. Never used to, nor has the cause been found. Seems much less after the blades are sharpened.