Hustler Fast Trak SD 42 inch Popping Fuses

wishbone73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. Having an issue with my Fasttrak SD which has less than 100 hours on it. It has started randomly popping fuses. The guy I bought it from told me it had done it to him one time. I had no trouble at all last season but when I fired it up this year the first thing it did was pop a fuse. It ran ok for a week or so and now it's popped 3 in one day. I do not know how to read a schematic. I'm wondering also if the 15 amp fuse and the 10 amp fuse could have gotten switched somehow. Can anyone tell me which fuse should be closer to the front end? The 10 amp fuse is in that position now (the one that keeps popping). I swear I'm cursed. I spend a huge chunk on what I thought was a great mower and already it has intermittent electrical problems with under 100 hours of use. Not good. This is why our rears are being kicked by foreign corps. I hate taking anything to a repair shop with electrical issues because it's a free pass for them to charge whatever they want. There's no way for me to know if they are being honest with me about how long it took. Why does this damn thing even have a fuse? 12 volt battery? Doesn't make any sense to me. It's almost foil time. Thanks in advance.

MRCo.

Threads
Trace the wire to check for damage causing a short.

If you feel like that about your repair shop it's time to find a new one.

wishbone73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trace the wire to check for damage causing a short.

If you feel like that about your repair shop it's time to find a new one.

Man I been through about 4 or 5 of them here in Pensacola. They either can't get anything done for weeks at a time, or take you for a ride or aren't any smarter than I am about it. It's bad around here.

MRCo.

Threads
I'm sorry to hear that. Not knowing the situation I will offer out that electrical issues are a times genuinely very hard and time consuming to bottom. I'm lucky to employ a very good tech with lots of experience who does a great job at it.

JoeZ

Threads
Hi guys. Having an issue with my Fasttrak SD which has less than 100 hours on it. It has started randomly popping fuses. The guy I bought it from told me it had done it to him one time. I had no trouble at all last season but when I fired it up this year the first thing it did was pop a fuse. It ran ok for a week or so and now it's popped 3 in one day. I do not know how to read a schematic. I'm wondering also if the 15 amp fuse and the 10 amp fuse could have gotten switched somehow. Can anyone tell me which fuse should be closer to the front end? The 10 amp fuse is in that position now (the one that keeps popping). I swear I'm cursed. I spend a huge chunk on what I thought was a great mower and already it has intermittent electrical problems with under 100 hours of use. Not good. This is why our rears are being kicked by foreign corps. I hate taking anything to a repair shop with electrical issues because it's a free pass for them to charge whatever they want. There's no way for me to know if they are being honest with me about how long it took. Why does this damn thing even have a fuse? 12 volt battery? Doesn't make any sense to me. It's almost foil time. Thanks in advance.

"Trace the wire to check for damage causing a short was already mentioned, but you have to look really close. There may be areas that you cannot see so you can use an OHMS meter to check lengths of wire for a short. Make sure power is off. Not RECOMMENDED but it has been done, use over size fuse & look for smoke or sparks."

send2den

Threads
I know it's been close to a year now, but just wondering if this guy found out the culprit? It sounds eerily like what I'm having on my 54" Fas Trac SD. 10A safety circuit blowing fuses. Might have just sold the mower? :laughing:

DJ660

Threads
Does fuse blow only when trying to start? If so, install the starter assist relay kit. Hustler is really taxing out the start circuit on these things and if theres any corrosion on start circuit connections it blow fuse or you get the famous "click" from starter and that's it.

send2den

Threads
Does fuse blow only when trying to start? If so, install the starter assist relay kit. Hustler is really taxing out the start circuit on these things and if theres any corrosion on start circuit connections it blow fuse or you get the famous "click" from starter and that's it.

I can't speak for the OP ( I was just trying to see if he ever found out what the root cause was) but in my case, it DOES blow at key turn trying to start. Intermittent as hell, and I could be wrong but most times it blows are on a "hot mower" condition. Mower has been stopped a few minutes and I try and crank it back up before it's cool. But anyway, how much is the starter assist relay kit ball park? Is it something I can install myself? How does it work in laymans terms? I'd be willing to maybe try it, if it's not too expensive. I've gone over my electrical system 2 or 3 times now looking for a root cause (I actually have another thread on here addressing the issue) but have not been able to pinpoint my problem. It will pop 2 or 3 in a row (10A fuses) if I keep trying it, so I pop in a 15A and she will crank. so it's not like I'm dead in the water. But I'd really rather put this baby to bed. Would in your opinion, the starter assist relay kit just still be masking my issue? My LAST resort is taking the damn thing in to a dealer or service center.

DJ660

Threads
Hustler part#107910 APPROX $35-40