SERIAL NO: 3508021671
FAMILY 5KHXS.7252GC
TYPE APP e11*97/68SA*2002/88*0280*00
DISPL (CC) 725
MODEL NO. CV740S
SPEC NO. CV740-0026
SERIAL NO. 3508021671
BUILD DATE 03-21-2005

I purchased this tractor with a non-running engine which initially turned over easily and with no unusual sounds. Thinking that the PTO might be locked up, today I removed the PTO and both belts. Still the engine will not turn over. The starter works, but I just get a clicking sound when it engages the flywheel.

QUESTION: Could there be a relay or safety switch (or some such thing) on the top side that could be braking the engine?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the pto and belts off, and you can't turn it by hand means either the engine is seized or the flywheel magnets have come loose and are jamming the flywheel. Try turning the engine by hand. if it doesn't turn then remove the blower housing and the flywheel to see if there is anything broke there.

DWB

Threads
ILENGINE, thank you for your prompt reply. I'll try your suggestion next.

DWB

Threads
ILENGINE,

I removed the blower housing and at first glance it appeared that the flywheel magnet was hitting one of the two ignition modules, so I loosened both ignition modules and moved them out of the way, but I still could not turn the engine either direction (with NO spark plugs). May I ask what would be the purpose of removing the flywheel? So far I have verified that the PTO, the belts and the flywheel magnet have nothing to do with the apparently seized motor. What might you suggest next?

See attached photos for current status.

DWB

Threads
Current Status:

Attachments

• front of engine.JPG
    front of engine.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 18
  • flywheel.JPG
    flywheel.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 23

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a set of magnets under the flywheel that work with the stator to recharge the battery. Sometimes those magnets will come loose and jam thing making it seem like the engine is locked up.

DWB

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE. I'll check on getting a wheel puller Monday.

DWB

Threads
ILENGINE,

I've pulled the flywheel and checked the stator. Everything looks good. The stator is firmly attached to the engine and there are no broken pieces.

Question: Could a bent push rod lock the engine? Could you suggest a next step in checking the engine?

Thanks

minus flywheel.JPG

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the pulleys are off the bottom, and there is nothing on the top, then it looks like the problem is internal. Most likely seized rod, Push rod wouldn't lock the engine, it would bend first. If the crankshaft won't turn either direction then you have a major problem. Will need to pull the engine off and look inside for final confirmation.

DWB

Threads
ILENGINE,

By "rod" I presume that you mean connecting rod versus push rod. I've known since the beginning that it probably was a major problem. Still, having purchased the complete tractor for $100, I still feel that it could be worth fixing. However, I need to turn my attention to other chores for awhile. Thank you for all your help.