Pull start rope

JTFaust1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Briggs 130202 5HP engine and after it is started the starter rope spits out of the recoiler and I have a loud squeal noise heard. It was fine when I put the rototiller away last year. Any suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The crankshaft extension that goes up inside the starter clutch has some rust on it, and it grabbing the clutch and turning it instead of running free. I have seen them spit the rope out, pull it back in and then break the rope off and break the recoil spring while it was at it.

You will need to remove the starter/blower housing, and then remove the screen and then take a hammer and punch and carefully loosen the clutch, making sure that you don't damage the bolt holes on the ears, so you can put the screen back on afterwards. remove the clutch, clean off the crankshaft, put a couple drops of oil inside the center of the clutch and reassemble, making sure to retighten the clutch properly.

You can also try dripping oil down through the small hole in the top of the clutch, and see if it will free up. Just don't get too much otherwise it will get down inside the area with the ball bearings, and then gum them up and won't reengage after running.