Repairs 721 Transmission

Rightway

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 721 Grasshopper 21 HP Diesel that is in need of a Gemini transmission for the left side. If anyone knows where there is one available for parts or a transmission please contact me or post. I dont know if this one can be rebuilt or not. These transmissions are no longer available from the dealer. They dont make them anymore. thanks Rightway

bobbysr

Threads
Check ebay. I'vr seen them on there. They are not cheap.

thehemikid

Threads
...and your local Craigslist. Bought my 2003 721D off there in late 2011. I found a broken motor 720K on CL in the spring of 2012 for the trans to put away for if my trans went out, & the right one did in the mid summer of 2012. Then the left one in the mid summer of 13. Bought another L & R off ebay and put on the shelf for the next failure which I dreaded lol mid summer of last yr but made it through. whew!

My neighbor was thinking about a zero turn. So I said if you get a GH stay newer than 2005 for the newer divorced trans. He got a used Hustler. While talking to the place he got it from he told them of the rebuild problem of these trans that I was having. The guy said he was familiar with them and that "they can rebuild them for $300+". I have my doubts that he's talking about this 771 trans, but I'll check & see. This thread has reminded me to do that for the 1st 2 bad trans I have.

I will try'n get back to you on their response.

thehemikid

Threads
Called today to see if it was the 771 trans. He wasn't Familiar with that number, & asked for the manufacturer, I said I think Eaton ( I haven't stayed updated on this sense my last trans change of ~ 2 summers ago & the knowledge is fading. I described it as "the driver & the driven pumps are in one housing". He said that's what we call integrated, I said yes. He said we haven't dealt with those.

It's what I figured, but had to check & see.

bobbysr

Threads
there is a used left drive on ebay right now. Its $1100. - yikes!