How to you bypass the safety switch under the seat?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No worries I have thick skin...I also find it comical when people insult others over the internet anyway...lawn mower police :laughing: they carry the same authority as the grammar police, the midnight snack police, the Netflix password sharing police and the toilet seat police

e...

]

I just have to watch out for them toilet seat police, I have one of the in my house that I live with :laughing:

Point37

Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a note about disabling legality. If a unit comes into a service center with any safety switches disabled, the service center has two choices. Call the customer and let them know that for you to work on the unit, all safety switches must be in working order before they can return it to the customer. Or refuse to do any work on the unit. This is the law in this country, as well as a requirement by most insurance companies. Yes, there are safety police out there looking for those who do not comply and the fine if caught is hefty, plus your insurance company is notified. Had one customer that cut apart half the wiring harness and since he wanted the unit repaired his bill got very pricey. Just a warning if you ever need service and have disabled switches. The choice is yours.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a note about disabling legality. If a unit comes into a service center with any safety switches disabled, the service center has two choices. Call the customer and let them know that for you to work on the unit, all safety switches must be in working order before they can return it to the customer. Or refuse to do any work on the unit. This is the law in this country, as well as a requirement by most insurance companies. Yes, there are safety police out there looking for those who do not comply and the fine if caught is hefty, plus your insurance company is notified. Had one customer that cut apart half the wiring harness and since he wanted the unit repaired his bill got very pricey. Just a warning if you ever need service and have disabled switches. The choice is yours.

Boy just which out for them lawn mower police because they might just follow you around your lawn when are out mowing. :thumbsup: I give the customer what ever they want done to there mower. Yes if a mower comes into my shop with a wiring problem all safety switches and guards will be working proper when I am done unless told different by the customer. But I also work cash only, no insurance, pay taxes for my parts, and no record of any of the repairs. All the laws and insurance is the very reason you will be paying the big dollars at the dealership for your repairs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Reynoldston, as you know it is called CYA. Your business and the one I work for do not compare. All we would need is one customer get hurt because we did not follow the laws and we could be down the drain. People would be surprised at some of the rules we have to follow. Ex. a mower with a hole in the deck falls under the same rules as a safety switch. In no way am I saying I agree with these rules, but it does illustrate why labor rates can get out of control. Three years ago we had a customer who tried to sue us because we gave him back a blade which we would not sharpen, because it was worn too badly. The wing was undercut and broke off, ending up in the side of his car. Claimed we should have never returned the blade to him, because it was unsafe to use. He filed the edge himself and put it back on the mower. He lost, but it still cost us money, which we could not recover because the court would not rule it was a frivolous law suit. What else can we do???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Reynoldston, as you know it is called CYA. Your business and the one I work for do not compare. All we would need is one customer get hurt because we did not follow the laws and we could be down the drain. People would be surprised at some of the rules we have to follow. Ex. a mower with a hole in the deck falls under the same rules as a safety switch. In no way am I saying I agree with these rules, but it does illustrate why labor rates can get out of control. Three years ago we had a customer who tried to sue us because we gave him back a blade which we would not sharpen, because it was worn too badly. The wing was undercut and broke off, ending up in the side of his car. Claimed we should have never returned the blade to him, because it was unsafe to use. He filed the edge himself and put it back on the mower. He lost, but it still cost us money, which we could not recover because the court would not rule it was a frivolous law suit. What else can we do???

Yes and no matter what we do sooner or latter we will all be there.
Running the repair shop blind is well & good till some one gets hurt.
Even if you only work for friends, a hospital visit will result in an automatic investiation and then there are the sharks who lurk in emergency centres.
"It was his fault & I can get you $ 200,000. Just sign this form " and a distressed parent of an injured child is more than likely to just sign the form without any thought.

I do not believe in most of the back side covering that goes on because the courts will not recognise personal responsibility for your own safety.
Then you get the religious fanatics who will not accept that we are responsible for any of our own actions.
Finally, judges are all appointed from the pool of lawers and personal injury claims are big money earners for lawers so they tend to look favourably on the most absurd claims when presented by reputable lawers.
Because both our legal systems work on preceedent once one bleeding heart claim is approved it is open season.

However the seat switch is the only safety device that does in fact protect both the user and bystanders and there is no possible valid reason for defeating it.
The only partially justifiable reason is if it is too sensitive and causes the engine to stutter when traversing very rough ground at inappropriately fast speeds, but that can be rectified fairly easily.

What I do find hard to believe that is a country with an overly zealous legal system lawers are not suing face book, you tube and the individual posted for injury compensation after their idiot moron client followed some other shaved monkeys instruction then managed to injure themselves.

Point37

Threads

is this an actual law or just typical repair shop policy?...if it's a law i'd like to read it...i understand the legality for a repair shop when coming across disabled safety equipment to notify the customer so the shop can either refuse to work on it...customer has to pay for the labor and parts for the safety repairs...or customer refuses repair and brings the unit to another shop...cause giving a unit back with disabled safety features and having someone get hurt can invite lawsuits...i just don't think i've ever read a law in text about it and would be curious to...and i've definitely never seen/heard it enforced in the case of a lawnmower...but i have seen osha hand out fines on construction sites but osha doesn't cover consumers...but if i bring my car in to get an oil change and they tell me my brakes need to be fixed or my tires are bald they will still do the oil change and not do the brakes so wouldn't that be illegal as well?...nothing was disabled but they are letting me leave with an unsafe vehicle...or what about when we had our toyota tacoma fail the frame rust inspection due to numerous holes in the frame (i could put my whole hand inside one of the holes) and they determined it was a candidate for buyback but allowed us to drive it home anyway...wouldn't that be illegal?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actual laws will vary, but down here if a car came in like that it could go back out with the bald tyres & bad brakes because the workshop could not have caused that damage during the oil change.
The caveat on this is if the workshop also fixes brakes & replaces tyres then they must put the warning about the brakes & tyres on the customers invoice . In some other states it could not leave the workshop in an unroadworthy condition unless it was towed away.
However if it came in for a service the workshop is liable for the brakes so it can not go back out with the brakes not working.
It causes a lot of problems when quoting for repairs.
Some one comes in for a clutch replacement if their car has a leaking sump & radiator the workshop is obliged to fix the sump leak because it could have been done in the workshop but not the radiator.

Down here mowers & such is consumer law, enforced by which ever department polices it.
On a commercial mower it will be OH&S on a domestic mower it is Consumer Affairs, if a person is injured then it is a police matter.
Down here the actual statutes change almost on a daily basis, the State Parliament Library sends out notification to the mower repair associations and all brand franchise holders and from there it filters down to the individual workshops.
Antii - pollution stuff is policed by the EPA and they have search rights so they can & do just turn up and inspect all the jobs in your workshop although this is normally done on a tip off.

A silly example is if I put a new chain on your saw you can walk out the door with it.
If I supply it in a carton I have to give you a 4 page safety warning and the box must state "Warning SHARP " on the outside and be sealed with tape.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you ever seen this warning in your owners manual. If you want you can review the sites listed below. Repair shops are required to make sure all safety devices are present and in working order. Search OSHA and ANSI, and it will drive you nuts, but to protect yourself, you follow the rules. Did you know that the original rule prompting the lawn mower dead man control was the result of two guys who used a lawn mower to trim the hedge between their properties. Started the mower, grabbed it by the deck and when something slipped they both lost multiple fingers each. Now was this something that manufacturers need to guard against, it is now. As a retired instructor there were two rules I always started each class with. Rule 1, you can’t fix stupid. Rule 2, you can’t change rule #1. Do as you wish, and know the consequences can cost you.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Removal or modi cation of original equipment, parts and/or accessories may alter the warranty, controllability, and safety of the machine. Unauthorized modi cations to the original equipment or failure to use original parts could lead to serious injury or death. Unauthorized changes to the machine, engine, fuel or venting system, may violate applicable safety standards such as: ANSI, OSHA and NFPA and/or government regulations such as EPA and CARB.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/120[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9850[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.pvamu.edu/bsrv/wp-content/uploads/sites/148/2016/05/Chap%2015%20Lawn%20Care%20Operations.doc[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://ohsonline.com/articles/2013...ety-device-resulting-in-worker-death.aspx?m=2[/FONT][/FONT]

Point37

Threads
i mean every time a safety decal falls off a mower it would be considered modifying OEM equipment and a safety issue and i doubt shops replace decals

the cornell link is just safety standards not law

OSHA link covers the workplace so it would cover a shop but it won't cover a homeowner/consumer use of a mower...

the university lawn safety link rules aren't law

the last article link is a workplace incident so not really relevant to a homeowner/consumer...

ANSI is standards of manufacturing which helps protect consumers from faulty manufacturing...also doesn't affect a homeowner/consumer unless equipment is defective...

NFPA is fire codes and standards...

EPA and CARB is for environmental pollution...

no that warning isn't in the owners manual...but there are other warnings but that's it...doesn't state that modifying anything is illegal...
http://service.webec.husqvarna.net/documents/HUSO/HUSO2018_NAenNAes/HUSO2018_NAenNAes__115982049.pdf

i just can't seem to find a law that pertains to a homeowner/consumer...