How to you bypass the safety switch under the seat?

Need2learn

Threads
Hello I have a Craftsman 18 HP-OHV Model # 917-274822 and I would like to know how to bypass the safety switch under the seat?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
On most mowers just unplug it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep just unplug it then the mower wont run. Disconnecting or unplugging the plug will do the same as getting off the seat when the mower is running, it will kill the mower because you open the switch. Depending on how it's wired and how many there are you may not be able to unplug the seat switch.

RoperGuy

Threads
You could just cut of the switch, and reconnect both ends

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could just cut of the switch, and reconnect both ends

You really don't have to cut anything if it's just two wires. Just unplug the switch and use a jumper wire. I'd leave everything the way it is in case you wanted to hook the thing back up for resale. You may not be able to disconnect the switch if there's another circuit running through the switch.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep just unplug it then the mower wont run. Disconnecting or unplugging the plug will do the same as getting off the seat when the mower is running, it will kill the mower because you open the switch. Depending on how it's wired and how many there are you may not be able to unplug the seat switch.

It depends on how its wired, by getting off the seat can also close the switch. Look at the switch and you will see NO or NC. When I am doing repairs on a mower and want to by pass the seat switch on most of the mowers I just unplug them. You might well be right because you most have the wiring diagram to his mower and I don't. Yes also it depends also on how many wires go to that switch. I was just making a quick guess when I said unplug it and its a very easy thing to do to test it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I was thinking about how you say its wired and the only way I can come up with dose it have a relay??

SkipD

Threads
A quick check with a multimeter will tell you how the switch works.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A quick check with a multimeter will tell you how the switch works.

Yes it will. Most seat switches work off the negative side unless it is run through a relay. I have seen them wired both ways. If the OP might not own a multimeter this is the reason I say just unplug it and see what happens?? and if he dose yes check it out.

Sidney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the connector & connect a wire or bent a paper clip to female connector