?Reliability? Lawn Boy Dura-Force SilverPro

JayTee

Threads
Good Morning Lawn Boy-ers! :smile:

I have a line on a Lawn Boy Dura-Force SilverPro 6.3 HP that looks to be in fair condition. Has been replaced by an upgrade, needs some minor repair. Asking $40 and I'm going to be in his area tomorrow. Calling to see if it's still available.

Is this a reliable mower? Any major issues to be aware of when I look at it?

Thanks all!

John

JayTee

Threads
Soooo. turns out that the above mower sold within a day of being listed and he just had not gotten around to taking the add down.

I'm now looking at a Lawn Boy Silver Series 4.5hp Self-propelled. Sounds like it may need a carb rebuild/cleaning as it starts, but dies. I'll be searching the forum, but interested in any knowledge about this model.

Thanks!

John

Phototone

Threads
I have several of the Silver Series 4.5 hp 2-cycle mowers in the self-propelled version. They are workhorses, most parts still available for repair, and they are strong, and simple to fix. They aren't as sexy as the "F" engine models, but they run just as well. There are plenty of them out there, as Lowes sold them for quite a few years. Easy to find junkers for parts machines. Incidentally, if you need to replace the self-propel drive belt, it takes a 3/8" x 33". Available at Napa stores and other larger auto parts stores for under $9. Don't pay the $22 some hardware stores charge for a belt.

Yes, if you can get it to start by priming it, yet it will not stay running, the carb jet is probably partially clogged. You have to remove the float bowl cover, and remove the screen from the middle, and the jet is below that and you can take a flat-blade screw driver and unscrew it, and remove it and you can see there are several holes that have to be cleaned for it to work properly. DO NOT forget to replace the screen, or you risk a bit of dirt being sucked up and clogging the jet again. These late-model 2-cycle plastic carbs have fixed jets, no adjustment, and they have to be CLEAN to deliver adequate fuel, as they were jetted lean to begin with. The 4.5 hp model does not have the "surging" issues the carb on the 6.5 hp models do. If you are cleaning the rest of the carb with carb cleaner, first remove the float and set it aside, as the carb cleaner will dissolve the lacquer on the cork float, and it eventually won't "float" anymore. Just set it aside, then blast away on everything else. Make sure the carb cleaner has evaporated before re-installing the float.

jp1961

Threads
I can't speak for the V block Lawnboy's. but the Duraforce engines are hard to kill. In 1998, I bought a new Silver series (10323) Lawnboy at Meijers and near as I can tell has about 700 hours on it and still has 110 psi compression and I still use it every week during the mowing season. My 6.5 Duraforce doesn't surge.

Jeff

Last edited:

JayTee

Threads
Thanks for the replies Phototone and jp1961. Wasn't able to look at the second mower, due to time and distance constraints. Appreciate the information however and will keep it in mind for the future. My old LB is running good. Just got to thinking a self-propelled would be nice for the large area I have to trim.

Cheers!

John

jp1961

Threads
I lied,,,my 10323 has 100 psi compression,,,lol. I write the compression number on the deck after I check it, with black magic marker. I'd keep an eye out for a 10323 model. They are still plentiful, and you can get one for under 100 bucks, sometimes less. The most you'd normally have to do is replace the needle and seat in the carb, a cheap fix.

My 98 10323 ran like crap about 3 years ago, was actually thinking of replacing it with a Honda mower. I took it into my basement over the winter to give it a going over. I removed the carb and cleaned it thoroughly (this is just about impossible to do with it on the engine), replaced the float needle and seat and replaced the primer bulb which was cracked. I also replaced the pull cord (not broken, but somewhat frayed). It runs better than new.

Jeff

Last edited:

beg

Threads
I have a dozen 10323 models.I have drilled out the carb jets and use a fuel shutoff valve they all start on the first pull some run better than others but all of them are very reliable

Phototone

Threads
Just an addendum to my previous post. I have never had a DuraForce 6.5 hp 2 cycle mower fail due to the engine not running. I have had them fail for other reasons, such as a broken self-propel transmission. But, by golly, the engine was still running. I have hit such big rocks that the engine mounting legs broke off, so the engine was flopping around, but the engine still ran.

buckstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the 6.5hpduraforce lawnboy mower. How do you replace the belt?

jp1961

Threads
I replaced the belt on a 10550 (Duraforce 6.5 aluminum deck), but the engine was already off the deck.

I guess you could try to sneak it on after removing the black plastic belt cover. If it won't go on then you'd have to remove the engine bolts to get it on.

I found a V belt at Tractor Supply Co. that is for a MTD snowblower that is the correct length for a Lawn-Boy Duraforce mower.

Regards

Jeff